Thread: Hex Edited 5100/5300s dying

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Default Hex Edited 5100/5300s dying

Has anyone else modified their 5100/5300s by doing the hex edit modification of the option file and after a certain amount of time finding their radios rendered useless? I've gone through three 900 MHz 5100s now and they all have died.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 450 Posts

any error messages or symptons prior to the death?

do they turn on can you write to the radio even if its the old file. Error messages will tell a lot.

Thanks

I have hex edited every opt file for every single EFJ I own and they're all quite content.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    any error messages or symptons prior to the death?

do they turn on can you write to the radio even if its the old file. Error messages will tell a lot.
    I have not had a chance to try and read/write the radio since this condition developed.

Symptoms: turn the radio on, it works fine. Start changing channels, TX, or scroll menu options, it says Power Down and resets. It will do this a random number of times and then reboot after the version info into a blank screen. Turn the radio off and back on, and it will either freeze at some point and require a battery removal in order to shut off, or just will not turn back on, unless I remove the battery for about 20-30 minutes. This has happened to two of my radios now, and my third freezes while TXing and i have to turn it off and back on.

syntrx No Longer Registered

It could be a mechanical issue. My UHF EFJ5100 did something similar for a little while.

Pull it apart and clean and re-seat all the connectors inside. My radio has been rock solid since I did this.

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    It could be a mechanical issue. My UHF EFJ5100 did something similar for a little while.

Pull it apart and clean and re-seat all the connectors inside. My radio has been rock solid since I did this.
    I have done that. Several times actually. The radio which is having issues now isn't even the original radio. The first radio had freezing issues, which I remedied by reseating the connectors. That lasted a few weeks and then the problems started again. This time around the reseating trick rendered the radio completely dead. It wouldn't even turn on. I had a working radio in a case in which the side buttons and housing were coming off of the case. So i decided to transplant the UI board and basically swap cases. Now the previously working radio is doing the above mentioned goofy things - restarting, freezing, blank displays.

I have my third radio as well with the sticking TX... I must have gotten a bunch of lemons...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 450 Posts

Since the one radio came back to life on a reseating I would dismantle the radio and clean all the connections. Resolder any recepticles if practical (you may have a cold solder jount). it looks like you have a mechanical issue.