Thread: CPS 7.6 or 8.0 required for XPR4550 w 1.09.10 FW?

Thanks

Default CPS 7.6 or 8.0 required for XPR4550 w 1.09.10 FW?

I will be receiving a XPR4550 tomorrow that has FW 1.09.10. My 1.09.00 radios use CPS 7.6. Will the 1.09.10 run with the 7.6, or will it need 8.0? Thanks. GARY

Thanks

v7.6 will work with that firmware.

Thanks

Thanks. GARY

chapito No Longer Registered

hola buenas noches soy nuevo en este foro ando buscando donde puedo consegir el sotware para los radios mototrbo XPR y el software ke tengo me dice ke la region no es compactible saludos

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chapito View Post
    hola buenas noches soy nuevo en este foro ando buscando donde puedo consegir el sotware para los radios mototrbo XPR y el software ke tengo me dice ke la region no es compactible saludos
    and here's the Google translation:

"hello goodnight'm new to this forum where I can consegir'm looking for the sotware XPR MOTOTRBO radios and software tells me ke ke I have not compactible region greeting"

Chapito, you'll need to call Motorola to purchase the correct Regional version of software for your radio

This is your very first post and its a request for CPS. This is not a warez site. You're not off to a very good start here.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

We speak English here, chowder head!!!!

anautofix No Longer Registered

I have a 6550 and 4550 both using firmware version R01.09.00 I was told to update it to R.01.09.10. Where can I get it?? and what improvements should I notice if any? Thank You in advance.

Steve...........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anautofix View Post
    I have a 6550 and 4550 both using firmware version R01.09.00 I was told to update it to R.01.09.10. Where can I get it?? and what improvements should I notice if any? Thank You in advance.

Steve...........
    You can download the latest firmware, here: http://www.p25.ca/threads/1788-TRBO-...Files-Are-Here

The latest CPS is available from Motorola. 1-800-422-4210. Once you pay for your software, you are entitled to a 20/25 KHz Entitlement ID (EID) at no additional cost, provided you're using the radio for ham purposes. (Exempt from narrowbanding).

The reason the DMR-MARCS people are telling everyone to run ancient firmware/CPS, is because they advocate pirating of CPS and don't want anyone to upgrade past a certain version, as narrowbanding is enforced. Since narrowbanding is not an issue for legit owners of CPS (see above), it should not be an issue whatsoever.

They also tell their users to disable AGC, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. AGC normalizes audio, so you don't have to constantly fidget with your volume control.

Thanks

Steve...........
    Not much, really. It was explained to me that if a radio had old fw like 1.06.xx, & you tried to upgrade to 1.09.00 when that was the newest, the radio could lock up. This did not affect upgrades from 1.08.32 to 1.09.00. The upgrade to 1.09.10 solved the problem of upgrading from 1.06.xx. However, as Mars stated, the correct way is to pay for, & get the newest fw, & CPS. But as he also stated, some of us hams are cheap bastards, & I can say for sure, many of the guys on the system we use here in Florida would not be on the Trbo system if we had to pay for the CPS, & I admit what we all do is wrong. I have 2 mobiles, one using 1.09.00, & the other 1.09.10, & there is no difference. Also as Mars stated, disabling the AGC didn't work out for me, as no matter how many times I tried to set my mike gain, somebody always complained. I enabled AGC, & the complaints ended. Good luck Steve. GARY

Thanks

Not all hams are cheap bastards. I don't mean to insult anyone. It just seems silly how the cost of a 3-year CPS subscription is $275. That's $91/year, or $7/month. That's the cost of a burger meal at McDonalds once a month.

For that, you get unlimited software/technical support from Motorola, software which is constantly updated/improved/new features, access to the latest firmware, and unlimited (within reason) EIDs for your computers you have CPS on. I requested 10, and received 10. No problems.

I'm not one to willingly hand over all my cash to Motorola, as their prices are already very inflated. However, for the small cost, I feel this is a great deal and both Pezking, myself and others who are heavily using MotoTRBO products, have found them to be very reliable and we're quite satisfied with all aspects (except a few minor things) of operation, design, etc.

Motorola is constantly attempting to improve their products. These Software Defined Radios (SDRs) require firmware updates (and CPS) to take advantage of any improvements. We have applied the updates/firmware/proper settings on our network, and it sounds fantastic.

Gary's points are valid and if that's the way a majority of hams want to do things, then whatever. But if you use something and you like it, then it makes sense to support it by paying for it.

anautofix No Longer Registered

Thanks Guys!!! Will the new Firmware work with the old 7.6? Or do I HAVE to upgrade the software?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,003 Posts

You can't load the newer firmware without using the newer software. $7 a month is one extra cable box or one extra Dish receiver or tow cups of Starbucks. Every time there is a significant firmware bump there is a new feature or a great improvement in something else, like audio quality. Well worth it, and who says you can't program someone elses radio with your software? Just don't make them a copy....

Besides being legal, you would then be well within the SPIRIT of the law, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    ...I have 2 mobiles, one using 1.09.00, & the other 1.09.10, & there is no difference. Also as Mars stated, disabling the AGC didn't work out for me, as no matter how many times I tried to set my mike gain, somebody always complained. I enabled AGC, & the complaints ended. Good luck Steve. GARY
    Motorola added just one new feature. It's not exactly easy to find if you don't have the release notes.
    They also fixed three bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Release notes
    What’s new in MOL Release 1.9.10?

RSSI Display Value - Provides access to the MOTOTRBO subscriber's current RSSI value by pressing the left arrow three times and immediately pressing the right arrow three times, all within 5 seconds.

Closed (Resolved) Issues

In a Linked Capacity Plus system, Remote Monitor calls may occasionally end prematurely after the call is successful (with the display showing “remote monitor ended” in the monitoring radio). The monitoring radio will continue to pick up the call as a private call thereafter.
    MOTOTRBO mobiles do not send out audio via rear Tx Audio Pin when initiating an Emergency Hot Mic
    After upgrading MOTOTRBO subscribers to R1.09.00, a Private Call/Call Alert locks up the radio.

Thanks

Thanks Guys!!! Will the new Firmware work with the old 7.6? Or do I HAVE to upgrade the software?
    I use 1.09.10 fw with CPS 7.6. It sure would be nice if we could get legit CPS, & "M" takes $7 a month off our credit card, vs handing them the whole amount at one time. I'm sure many would go for that. GARY

Thanks

Actually, the possibility of lock-ups occurred with radios having firmware prior to R01.6.20 (or possibly any 6.xx). If you were going to to 9.10 or higher with firmware older than 6.20, then you were "cautioned" to make it a 2-step process to 6.20, then the latest firmware. I think I have successfully taken an old R01.00.00 radio to 7.xx long ago, but now out of the abundance of caution, I still do the 2-step. If you are running on IPSC networks using the c-Bridge or SmPTT bridging products, then you should go no higher than 9.11 in repeaters and 9.10 in client radios for the maximum flexibility with the least number of issues.

While this may be construed to affect the lack of the 25 khz entitlement key "availability", it (IMHO) is more important for the inter-networking of the many Ham IPSC networks that 9.10/9.11 firmware be maintained.

And in some effort to not be smug, you gotta give us some credit to MARC (I am a MARC affiliate only) to be able to network 200+ repeaters worldwide rather effectively in spite of the many user/admins who make no little to ZERO effort to create compatible client radio codeplugs. Now if we could only get past that silly ass 1000 user lid on the alias list that was implements a few major revs back...
    -- Mike, NO7RF, Mazama WA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,003 Posts

I'm still waiting for multiple digital IDs per radio. At least one per zone or system.