Thread: Smartzone on a Smartnet system?

Thanks

Default Smartzone on a Smartnet system?

It has been years since I programmed but as I recall if you only are going to be in one area you can program up a smartnet radio and it will talk without issue on a smartzone system. We did this for control stations as I recall. Question 1 is my memory correct and can a smartnet radio operate on a smartzone system? I can't find an old codeplug to check.
    Second question, can I order flash upgrades using my NSO account or do I have to use sales? If sales is required can anyone recomend someone to get XTS2500 and XTL2500 flash updates? Thanks

The system is a mixed mode 3600 baud smartzone omni link system, our agency runs only analog and no scan.

Art
    Last edited by commsec; Feb 27, 2013 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks

As for your upgrade question AFAIK it must go through sales, Jeff @ Sandy's Communications can get them for you.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Thank you, is that the outfit in California?

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 857 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 673 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by commsec View Post
    Question 1 is my memory correct and can a smartnet radio operate on a smartzone system?
    That depends on your definition of "operate". While this is an oversimplification and not completely correct technically, a smartzone system is essentially a group of smartnet sites that are tied together through a zone controller. When a smartzone capable radio affiliates, it can roam throughout the system. A smartnet capable radio will have limited functionality in a smartzone system. In short, the radio will not talk without issue and you should contact Jeff at Sandy's to get H38 put into your radio. if you just want to monitor a smartzone system, and the smartzone system is a simulcast system, you may do pretty well with an H37 (smartnet) radio.

Thanks

Thank you for all your help. The radios operate within a very small area entirely within a single zone. We had our budgets slashed so I am trying to get by with smartnet flash's rather than smartzone. The radios are used for analog two way communications. I know we did this with some control stations when the trunk first went in but I have been away from the system so long I don't even know what versions of zone controller software is out there. I am concerned the big M may have changed something in the software that will cause issues. You said we might have issues, could you expand on that a little so I can make the call on which and how many flash's I will need. Thank you

Thanks

If your system is small, it might be a smartzone system actually operating like a simulcast smartnet system, in which case you may not have a problem. In a true smartzone system, the issue would be that your radio initially affiliates with a site and then, as you move through the system, the zone controller no longer knows where to find you.

Thanks

Commsec - I just got home and remembered a very helpful discussion of smartzone system operation. It's not very long and worth reading. Here's the link if you are interested:

How a Smartzone System Works

Thanks

Our system is rather large with 6 or 7 zones presently. These radios are assigned to a single geographic location with a single zone. They do not use failsoft in them and they never leave the area within the zone. If they stay within a zone they should be ok, that said with the understanding that if taken outside of the zone they will simply not operate. I guess similar to just running out of system coverage. The talk groups are all local to the zone the radios are in, no system wide operation in these particular radios. Do I have it down now? I really appreciate the assist.

Thanks

Default The light bulb goes on!

Thank you for the link, that is just what I needed. You guys have been great. Thanks

Thanks

I think that you have it down. Unless I am mistaken, the configuration that you describe should work fine with H37 flashed radios.

Since you are going to limit yourself to operation on a single site in a multi-site smartzone system (e.g., operate the equivalent of a single-site smartnet system, with only the 4 control channels for the site), you don't need the radios to be able to switch sites based on RSSI. H38 flashed radios in a smartzone system have the ability to accomplish site hand offs by using RSSI. Note that when I refer to a "site" in the multi-site system, I'm referring to a "zone" and not a tower site.

Thanks

I understand it now. I found our control station codeplugs and they are all smartnet (H37). I ruled out hardware, I ruled out software, that leaves the most sinister of all problems a tech can run into, stupidity. Supposedly Motorola refused to take the order for the flash from our local MSS because smartnet radios can't work on a smartzone system. I think that's the only time I ever heard of Motorola Corporate refusing to take someones money, normally we can't get their hands out of our pockets LOL. That MSS just lost our entire base, the sysop runs the system but I have the final say on purchasing and who we deal with, checkmate. I reached out for Sandy's to see what we can do. He sounds like good people and we are desperately short on them around here. Thanks again to all for the help. If we can work things out I will report back here, I think if a guy is on the square people should know it.

Thanks

Site scan/search is a good button to have programmed. WAC AMSS works great on an SZ system, but you still won't have audio piped to your site . There has to be another subscriber affiliated, or set up as simulcast for that TG.