Thread: MCS2000 Control Head Type Change

Thanks

Default MCS2000 Control Head Type Change

I know I can try this, and just reload the original S-record if I toolproof my radio.
    But, in an effort to save time, here is what I want to do:
    I have a MCS2000 TY2 that I want to put a TY3 head on it.
    I am assuming all I would have to do is change the model number(M01KLM to M01KLN) and change offset 19-6 to "1" for 2 line display.
    I know there are checksums to adjust, and to follow the instruction elsewhere on the forum by MARS and MAGNUS.
    Do you think I will toolproof the radio if I try this?
    I am just trying to save myself some time and frustration.
    My firmware is 05.75 and 05.52 (I have 2 radios)
    Bob
    Common sense is Uncommon.
    You can't fix stupid, but eventually it takes care of itself.

Thanks

I am looking to do the same control head swap. I remember seeing a detailed description at some point (was it on here???) but can no longer find it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have firmware information available in front of me at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uniden278 View Post
    I am looking to do the same control head swap. I remember seeing a detailed description at some point (was it on here???) but can no longer find it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have firmware information available in front of me at the moment.
    There are details here on the forum:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/566-MCS-a...00+head+change

https://www.p25.ca/threads/358-MCS20...00+head+change

If I thought I could make the changes without "toolproofing" my radio I would make a detailed guide on how to do it.
    I just have the feeling from what I have read that it can not be done.
    I have thought about getting a firmware/flashcode upgrade and seeing if the model number could be changed during the flash.
    There was a local guy for me that did upgrades, but he does not do them anymore.
    So my change is in limbo for now.
    Bob

Thanks

Default No tool proofing on MCS only MTS

If you are working with an MCS2000 then there is no tool proofing that I have ever seen. Tool proofing was instituted on the MTS2000 only. I have played with the same idea of changing control heads from 2 to a 3 and never got it to work. This is just what I have seen over the years. If anyone knows of tool proofing they never came forward to dispute my experience.

Thanks

The easiest way to do what you want is to find an applicable Model III codeplug in the proper band with the desired features, and force it into the radio via no pack / unpack writing session with MTSX LAB 3.02.00.

It can be a DOS RSS codeplug, or a Windows CPS codeplug...the LAB doesn't care. You will get the "codeplug too new" error when you initially read the codeplug, but ignore that, it loaded the codeplug into memory, it just couldn't display it's contents. Writing with unpack will work.

You can change the serial number of the codeplug in the RSS/CPS clone menu beforehand, so it will match your radio's.

The radio will require complete retuning afterwards.

Thanks

I have to agree, why mess with bit banging if you can just rear and write? The only problem is finding an srec that matchs the radio you want to end up with. I thought someone was trying to start an srec central file server, maybe the codeplug supersite. I am not sure of the legalities as the only way to get an srec is to use propriatary software restricted and copywrited by M. They may allow the older products to be experimented with but the method used might just get their attention. It would be a nice dream to find a place to file and index srec, with the amount of stuff on fleabay now it should be easy to build an MCS and MTS archive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by commsec View Post
    I am not sure of the legalities as the only way to get an srec is to use propriatary software restricted and copywrited by M.
    There are other ways, the proprietary way is by far the easiest, but one could remove the chips from the radio, rip a binary dump and save it as an srecord. Or write your own software to do so as RussianE39 has been working on.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

That is true but going through the extended effort might be more than a lot of beginners can handle. For the effort it is easier to just buy what you need as the MCS are so plentiful on Ebay and other sites.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by commsec View Post
    The only problem is finding an srec that matchs the radio you want to end up with. I thought someone was trying to start an srec central file server, maybe the codeplug supersite. I am not sure of the legalities as the only way to get an srec is to use propriatary software restricted and copywrited by M.
    You don't need an s-record...as far as writing using 'unpack', there's no difference between an s-record or a codeplug. As I said, read codeplug, ignore "too new" error, go to "write with no pack/unpack" screen and write codeplug which has been loaded into memory into the MCS. Retune radio. Done it many times.

Thanks

Success and failure.
    I was able to change the model number of my radio and load it up with features.
    I now have a flashcode of 230001-104200-0. LOL
    Bad news, even with the model number change the CPS does not recognize the type 3 control head.
    If anyone could share a type 3 codeplug or s-record I would appreciate it.
    The radio is a M01KLN9PW6AN (formerly a m01klM9pw6an)
    If you have a M3 AND A M2 OR M1 from another band I would like to compare differences to try to find the head address in the s-record.
    HELP, please.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Update - A3C101-104200-5 is now the new flashclode. Will try more tomorrow!
    Last edited by BobbyBoucher; Mar 08, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks

I guess I'll call this a bump.........

If anyone could share a type 3 codeplug or s-record I would appreciate it.
    If you have a M3 AND A M2 OR M1 from another band I would like to compare differences to try to find the head address in the s-record.
    HELP, please.

RadarNutt No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBoucher View Post
    HELP, please.
    Bob,

I'm a newb here, but believe I could help you out if you can wait a few more days. I'm interested in accomplishing the same thing you are. I have a mix of 900mhz, VHF, and UHF MCS2000 radios (4 of them lying around). My 900 is a Model I, and the others are model 2 or 3. I have a RIB and have a licensed copy of CPS that I've programmed before (tho it's been awhile).

If you can instruct me on how/where to find the info you want in the code plugs, I'l be glad to assist you. I'd very much like to learn from your findings as I have a few Model 3 heads lying around.

The vehicle with my radios in it is in the shop atm. My other 2 radios are lying around, but I'd need to find my bench test +12v. I'm also in the process of moving atm, so sort of complete chaos in my house right now!

Might be next weekend before I could get all the stuff together and read whatever data you want, but let me know if you'd like me to put in the effort and what info you need!

Thanks

was there any movement on this, im having simular issues

Thanks

I did some button reprogramming and s-rec comparisons and have come to the conclusion that it would take a s-record from a model 3 to change a model 2 into a model 3.

Thanks

Thanks bobby

Thanks

Thanks

I forgot about this thread, and my radio has been sitting idle for months now.

I know this is a longshot, but does anybody have an S-Record for a UHF Model III 450-512 M01SHN9PW5_N (AN OR BN)