Thread: XTS-2500 Unable to get radio to decode QC-II Alert tones forAmbulance paging!! Please Help!!!

njemt437 No Longer Registered

Unhappy XTS-2500 Unable to get radio to decode QC-II Alert tones forAmbulance paging!! Please Help!!!

Hello All,

I have a quick question for you. I have the XTS-2500 UHF 450-512 split. I set up the radio with 3 Zones. I have used personality 1 and 2 to monitor the digital trunking system for Morris County NJ. Works fine, no affiliation and the profile is set to rcv only. I set it up to scan the conventional channels and used the "select channel" instead or "strapped" feature to lock into a specific talk group to listen too from my Talk Group list with Motorola ID's.

Here is my problem. On Zone 3 I only have 1 frequency listed, that is our analog paging channel and I put in our QC II tones under signalling. However I can't get the radio to open up and alert me when the county sends their evening test or for that matter when any squad call goes out, day or night. I was able to set QC-II up on my HT-1250, EX-500 and 600 without any problem and they work like a charms. We are using 3 tone sets.
    This is exactly how I set up the other radios: They all work just great! Alert tones come through, voice message from county where the call is and "Call Received" display on screen.

A-B/A-D/C-D

1) 7xx.x/8xx.x Scramble Calls
    2)7xx.x/707.3 Duty Calls
    3)11xx.x/707.3 Countywide pager test at 1830 hours.

Just FYI, I replaced certain numbers with an x for security reasons.

For the life of me I can't get the radio to open on any of these. I see the red led flashing when the radio is transmitting on that channel for other agencies in other parts of the county and it is a good thing it stays quiet since those calls do not pertain to my department, however this morning and at the 1830 test in a few hours the radio will not "Alert" me when they do their nightly test just like it didn't alert me this morning at 730 that we had a call. I only knew we had a call because of my pager.

I know it is something simple, I did check the "AND" box for signalling. SO I have no idea what I am missing!!! If you don't mind I would like to attach my codeplug for anyone to perusal. I really don't know or have any other technical radio friends other then you guys and I certainly don't want to go into BatForums or Radio Reference since they are always critical of "M" postings.

Please if anyone can be of assistance before our test tonight so I can modify the codeplug and see if it works, it would be of so much appreciated. Let me know what I am doing wrong, I am on duty today and tonight and all this weekend and would really like to fix this ASAP.

Thank you so much in advance. Please email me so I can send you the code plug for your review. Stevenr437@aol.com

Your Friend,
    Steven

Thanks

Please post the codeplug on here as an attachment.

Also

Please stop posting multiple threads for the same question.
    Please stop sending PMs to Moderators and Administrators asking them to help you.

Thanks

After looking at the codeplug, I would first verify your firmware version in the radio and make sure it supports QC2, then I would verify your county is sending the tones with PL because your channel is programmed for PL and I'm not sure how the 2500 handles that.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Are you trying to scan your Quick Call channel along with the other channels?

That's an easy way to miss pages.

As far as using QC2, it is the only frequency on Z-3 so I am not scanning it. At 1830 today, the county put the test out and the tones did not activate. I even removed the PL of 71.9 and set it for CSQ in Zone Channel assignment and still no luck, Pager went off, but not my radio. Has anyone read my codeplug or flashcode for this radio to see if it has something to do with that? Here are the option that the flashcode decoder shows:

Decoding Flashcode: 581018-00148C-3
    Platform: XTS2500

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
    H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display
    Q498: Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
    H43: Trunked Remote Monitor/Radio Trace
    Q883: 3600/9600 Interoperability/Mixed Mode Signalling
    H38: SmartZone Systems Operation
    Q947: APCO Packet Data Interface
    Q173: SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
    Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
    Q667: ADP Software Encryption
    Q574: 9600 Baud Trunking

There has to be a logical answer to this problem.

Thanks

Yes, I looked through your codeplug and did not see anything to make me believe it would not work. What is the firmware version of the radio? Also have you verified whether the channel is wide band or narrow band? Sometimes paging levels can be touchy.

Default I think I found the solution to the QC2 Alert tone decoding for the XTS 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Yes, I looked through your codeplug and did not see anything to make me believe it would not work. What is the firmware version of the radio? Also have you verified whether the channel is wide band or narrow band? Sometimes paging levels can be touchy.
    The DSP is R15.00.05 and the Host is R09.00.28 However, I think I found the solution! I will just have to wait for the County to tone out. If you go into the settings and click "Conventional Personality 3" you will see a drop down box under "RX OPTIONS" it says: "Unmute/Mute Type" it then gives you 3 choices. I compared these to my other radios and it was not set to "Standard" like my other radios that are working just fine. It was set to "And Unmute,Std Unmute" the first time and it did not work, I also tried "And Unmute, Or Mute" this evening during the 1830 test and that did not open up the radio.

So I am hoping that when the RX option is set to Standard, it will open up when the tones match the PL or DPL in use. I know for a fact the County sends the tones with a pl of 71.9.

Tonight will be my final test. I also made sure that on the QC II tab in "Conventional Personality 3" the box that says: Decode: "Selective Decode" Unmute type selected is checked "AND" and not OR.

Wish me luck, hopefully by doing this the radio will work the correct way when it needs to page and alert.

I will keep you posted and feel free to comment if you have any other ideas, please don't hesitate to respond.

Well guys, the 1830 test came and went and the Radio QC-II did not open up when the County sent out he tones. Made the adjustments according to the above post and now I have no idea why it doesn't want to open up and alert me of a call. I am stuck, really need your expertise in this area.

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

Is this a panter88 radio? It may need an alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pezking View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Is this a panter88 radio? It may need an alignment.
    Negative....It is in good shape and was aligned by a radio tech. I know all about the Panter88 radios and how he just copies his S-Record, etc.

Pezking,

Did you happen to look at the codeplug for this radio yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,468 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can we look at your codeplug if it's not attached to this thread? Please accept my apology in advance if I'm overlooking something here.

Default CodePlug for XTS-2500 ??? Unable to make QC2 work?

Sorry,

Attached please see the Code Plug for the radio in question.Dispatch Only 41512.cpg

A-B-Night, A-D-Duty, C-D-Countywide Evening Test

Thanks
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,468 Posts

What version of CPS was this last programmed with? I'm using R16.01.00 and cannot open it. I avoided CPS R17.00.00 due to the Fail 01/82 issues with XTS2500s, of which I experienced 4 failures

Thanks

I had the same issue with my XTS2500 And XTS5000. After trying everything under the sun i found that it is the tones from the dispatch center.
    My HT1250 and Minitor 5 will decode the tones all day and the XTS to XTS decode works great.
    Tones from the dispatch center are off a little and dont produce enough tone for the XTS, they adjusted the phone lines to the tower and now the XTS alerts every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebuff66 View Post
    I had the same issue with my XTS2500 And XTS5000. After trying everything under the sun i found that it is the tones from the dispatch center.
    My HT1250 and Minitor 5 will decode the tones all day and the XTS to XTS decode works great.
    Tones from the dispatch center are off a little and dont produce enough tone for the XTS, they adjusted the phone lines to the tower and now the XTS alerts every time.
    The software I am using is the latest, 17. This morning I reloaded CPS 16 ...64 bit onto the laptop and now the radio since I had it re-flashed with trunking, it will not associate with the 16 CPS version. As Mars stated CPS 17 has some bug issues, so I took his advice and re-downloaded the 16 version which I originally had before sending the radio off to the shop to get trunking installed and removed FPP. Now I cannot read or write to the radio in the 16 CPS version. SO what did I have to do? Had to re-install the 17 CPS version and read and write to the radio with the 17 Version code plug stored on the Lap top.

Mars, the software will attempt to read the radio when I select Flash upgrade, then it stops around 4mb and asks for a Sys key, which I don't have. Another roadblock. So I am back to where I started with my 17 version on the radio. ughhhhh

As far as having the County realign their phone lines, they would laugh at me. Any other suggestions?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njemt437 View Post
    the software will attempt to read the radio when I select Flash upgrade, then it stops around 4mb and asks for a Sys key, which I don't have. Another roadblock. So I am back to where I started with my 17 version on the radio. ughhhhh
    Once the radio is flashed, you cannot easily go back.

Unless you are the one who did the flash upgrade, you will not have the flash key (note: it's probably asking for a flash key and not a system key). I would assume the shop that flashed the radio for you would have it.

Considering all the problems you're having, You should take the radio to the shop, tell them what you want done and have them program it for you. They can set it up on a test frequency and simulate the tones to make sure it's working properly. They can also do a full alignment on the radio and verify that it's working properly. If this is an Internet bought radio, it might have tuning problems. The cost for an hour or two of shop labour would be well worth the money.

If it still doesn't work after that, then it's a problem between the County's tones and your radio.

No offense but I think you've bought yourself a radio that's far too complicated for your skill level. There's a certain amount of troubleshooting that can be done over the Internet but in some cases, hands on troubleshooting is required.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Default Thank you to Everyone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Once the radio is flashed, you cannot easily go back.

Unless you are the one who did the flash upgrade, you will not have the flash key (note: it's probably asking for a flash key and not a system key). I would assume the shop that flashed the radio for you would have it.

Considering all the problems you're having, You should take the radio to the shop, tell them what you want done and have them program it for you. They can set it up on a test frequency and simulate the tones to make sure it's working properly. They can also do a full alignment on the radio and verify that it's working properly. If this is an Internet bought radio, it might have tuning problems. The cost for an hour or two of shop labour would be well worth the money.

If it still doesn't work after that, then it's a problem between the County's tones and your radio.

No offense but I think you've bought yourself a radio that's far too complicated for your skill level. There's a certain amount of troubleshooting that can be done over the Internet but in some cases, hands on troubleshooting is required.
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me work on this project and all your kind replies. I will take Cyrus's advice and take the radio to the shop to have it put on a bench test. I am sure they can figure out why the QC2 tones are not functioning properly. Other than that, the radio works well and I am able to follow along the trunking system conventionally using RX mode and no affiliation. Once again thank you to all who have gone out of their way to help me out. It is much appreciated, you guys are the best.

Best Regards

Mr. Moderator,

If you feel the need to close this thread, by all means do so. Thank you for everything.