Thread: XT3000 Display Repair -Iron Method ?

Thanks

Default XT3000 Display Repair -Iron Method ?

Anyone have any success in repairing the XTS3000 displays with the iron ( yes your mom's clothes iron ) method similar to what was used on the MTS displays?

Since these are NLA from Motorola this may be the only option in some cases.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 455 Posts

if its a cold connection like the MTSX displays this should work provided you are carefull not to melt the mounts. You can confirm the problem by carefuly pressing down on the flex and confirming the display works properly

mikem No Longer Registered

50 50 success rate for me, one stubborn display never came back while it's twin works fine after 3 months. Both started out with the same symptoms. I used a controlled heat gun and then a small rubber end of a tool to press the flex down.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Keep in mind you are melting conductive glue, not solder, so much less heat would be required. Just a quick observation...

Thanks

I was successful in doing a few radios like this, but never an MTSX - they all went south when I tried.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 455 Posts

I have found that the heat and pressure is critical. I used a hot air gun (carefully) on the area and then a warmed regular pencil eraser edge (new) to apply the pressure to the contact points untill the connection was cool enough to remain.

mikem No Longer Registered

The display that is still dead had the glue flaking off while with the other one the glue was still intact and usable and as I said it still works fine. The flaking glue on the trashed display was so dry even before I tried to heat it up with pretty much 100% dead pixels that i only made one low temperature attempt to reattach it.
    The interesting thing is that both radios were ordered at the same time and both had similar use. I may re-evaluate it at a later date with some new adhesive if I can figure out what type of glue to use.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

It's probably some sort of silver-bearing epoxy especially for that purpose, I'm guessing. Heat is the only thing that will affect epoxy-type glues or resins at all, generally they are impervious to most solvents.