Thread: Operations Critical Wireless + APX?

Thanks

Default Operations Critical Wireless + APX?

Pretty straightforward question -- does the Operations Critical wireless earpiece from the TRBO line work with APX Bluetooth-enabled portables? If it does, it seems like the better deal to pick up if you don't need the encryption from the Mission Critical series... probably cheaper too. Just wondering if anyone's tried this yet.

syntrx No Longer Registered

Sadly, no. Two different pairing methods, caused by a classic case of Motorola's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Thanks

I noticed in the new Mototrbo accessories catalog that they now have "Enhanced Operation Critical" headsets. If you are using XPR6000 series Mototrbo radios, you can get a Bluetooth adapter that works with the Mission Critical APX headset. Unfortunately, the Mission Critical APX headsets won't work with the newer XPR radios with builtin Bluetooth. And the external Bluetooth adapter that works on an XPR65xx won't work on a 7550.

It's nice that Motorola keeps it simple - nothing works with anything. Having things that all work together reduces costs of manufacturing and cost of inventory - thus making you more profitable. Who needs that in this Bull(s*^t) economy :-).

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

APX's use Mission Critical Headsets while the TRBO line uses Operations Critical headsets.

Encryption and a proprietary pairing protocol are the main differences. Motorola only wants their devices to pair so somebody can't use a regular headset to hijack the comm link.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Yep, Moto knew exactly what they were doing - what's the point in having a fancy FIPS-certified radio running AES256 when you're running crap encryption to the headset? What would have been nice is a software toggle to select between the MC earpiece and allowing pairing of any standard BT earpiece, with the knowledge that doing so will impact FIPS compliance (same with IKR).

Thanks

The interesting thing is there is a choice to select something other than Motorola Proprietary Pairing but its greyed out. Perhaps an option in the future to select regular pairing?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

I agree that the higher encryption makes more sense - my suggestion is for Motorola to only make the Mission Critical device. By eliminating the lower cost, lower security duplication of product and inventory, they could probably reduce the cost of the Mission Critical devices to consumers. Plus the user (who owns both Mototrbo and APX/XTS radios) and only uses the headset on occasion only needs to purchase one model.

The new Mototrbo accessories catalog has the following info in footnotes with regards to "Enhanced Operations Critical" (which is actually the Mission Critical APX/XTS headset and supports touch pairing - but only on XPR65xx series radios): "This means multiple workers on shifts who need grab-and-go device can all pair at the same time without connecting to the wrong radio."

That would suggest that Mototrbo commercial users are experience pairing difficulties which would be eliminated by only offering one solution. I would think the cost to manufacture the XPR7550, SL7550 and XPR5550, etc. with Mission Critical Bluetooth instead of what is currently installed would be negligible. If the cost of the radios went up a few dollars as a result, but meant that I only had to buy one model headset (not to mention make sure I had the correct headset type with the correct radio - since they look the same) would be worth it - in my opinion. Not to mention the reduction in confusion for users who wish to buy Bluetooth headsets - based on the number of questions I see posted on forums asking what works with what.

I believe Cyrus's last post is in reference to programming and XPR65x0 radio with the Mission Critical adapter that is available for that radio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khw View Post
    I believe Cyrus's last post is in reference to programming and XPR65x0 radio with the Mission Critical adapter that is available for that radio.
    No, my post references the APX and its CPS only.
    Cyrus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    The interesting thing is there is a choice to select something other than Motorola Proprietary Pairing but its greyed out. Perhaps an option in the future to select regular pairing?
    Yeah... I know quite a few PDs aren't happy about this option, because they want to use a "normal" earpiece and throw the APX in a backpack/etc. for plainclothes ops. Since it makes good sense and the customers want it... expect it to be released in the firmware version following the QC2 release.

Thanks

If you don't want to go the motor route I've got the pryme Bluetooth adapter and Bluetooth button for the xts and love it, about to pick up a xpr adapter in the next few weeks worth every penny and you can use any Bluetooth you want

sent from my mobile communication device
    i have not failed i have found 10,000 ways that do not work

syntrx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Yep, Moto knew exactly what they were doing - what's the point in having a fancy FIPS-certified radio running AES256 when you're running crap encryption to the headset? What would have been nice is a software toggle to select between the MC earpiece and allowing pairing of any standard BT earpiece, with the knowledge that doing so will impact FIPS compliance (same with IKR).
    But there's no reason they couldn't have built support for those same secure BT devices into the TRBO platform, and just sold one product.