Thread: Only receiving some transmissions on conventional P25 EFJ 5100ES

chudson No Longer Registered

Default Only receiving some transmissions on conventional P25 EFJ 5100ES

I don't think the EFJ 5100ES(Orange HT) is capable of accepting $F7E as an "all-call" unsquelch everything NAC. I have programmed the right NAC according to RR but I still don't hear everyone. I hear some and the ones I don't hear, I just get the green receive light coming on. Not sure why I only can hear some people and not others. Last time I had this problem was when I couldnt hear anyone but I used the software to turn on digital squelch. The system is conventional and doesn't use TG's that I know of. It just pops up TG 100 or 1 on all transmissions. The system does utilize numerous towers, but I am using the main on that is used regularly. Can anyone help on why I can't hear and just get the receive light to come on?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 484 Posts

are the users encrypted. If not if they are using a TG you should set up the personality to match that information.

This is more common than you think you must bear in mind that a radio is not a scanner often for the radio to rx something you must match all the parameters. This is especialy important when monitoring one manufacturers system with anothers product.

Thanks. As far as I know, there is no talkgroups. I volunteer with the National Park Service Search and Rescue and all talk together. You can hear maintenance, fire, and LEO together. It's just a few people. Maybe three or four that I can't hear.

Thanks

Program a TG ID of $FFFF (65535 Dec). That is the P25 Spec for an "open" TG. It basically will let all TG IDs through.

Thanks

worst case if you can get a copy of the codeplug you want to match up with, I shlould be able to list the freq/TG/NAC etc for the personalities.

How do I find/get the codeplug?

Thanks

If its a ASTRO radio that you have just read and save the codeplug. if you are not worried about others seeing it you cna attach it in this forum, if you are you can PM me and I will take a look and summerise the rx/tx/NAC pairs for you.

its not a moto. its an ef johnson 5100

Thanks

I can still decode the codeplug.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

NPS uses talkgroup IDs so dispatch consoles know what type of unit is transmitting. $FFFF should work for him for receive. He should find out what SAR is using for their TX TGID for their operations. If it is a small park, their region office may be the only people with that info.

I did find out that there isn't any talkgroups used. It's not a large park, but it isn't small either. We actually use the Zetron's P25 VoIP RDS. It's used to dispatch for multiple parks. Four I think. All groups, fire, law enforcement, resources, etc can be heard together. Law Enforcement also has secure abilities, so I would assume if secure wasn't in use, then TG's would be used. One of our SAR members who is also the comms center manager is giving me the freqs and info in a few days when he goes back into work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

You may have random programming for TGIDs then if you can't hear all users. Get the info from the manager and it should be an easy fix anyway to hear everyone.

I see this with a lot of Federal agencies. They have different vendors programming stuff all the time, and a lot of the time, no one knows what the other vendor is doing and there is frequently no central repository of programming info. Some agencies are better than others.