Thread: XTS5000 Model 1 - Manufactured in Aug 2007 - which CPS version?

Thanks

Default XTS5000 Model 1 - Manufactured in Aug 2007 - which CPS version?

I have an XTS5000 Model 1. As this version has no LCD, its not possible to use the "press side key 5 times" trick to display the firmware version etc.

The radio was manufactured in August 2007 so I am assuming it was originally programmed with CPS R10.01.00 or maybe R11.00.00.

I have read numerous reports of the issues with CPS R17.00.00 (ie. you end up with a brick) so I was planning on probably using R16.01.00

BUT I have also read comments about using a CPS version which "matches" the firmware version - if that's the case then I guess I need CPS R10 , R11 or R12 ?

I think I might start with CPS R12.00.00 or R12.01.01 and if I get "codeplug too new" then try CPS R16.01.00

Does anybody have any comments?

Am I being too cautious starting with R12.00.00?

Thanks

Thanks

READING the radio won't update the codeplug version, so if you have the option just read it with the latest CPS and it will tell you what firmware/codeplug version you have?
    Andrew

Thanks

I agree with Bigfella. Read it with the latest and go from there. My general rule of thumb is if you can read a radio successfully 4-5 times, you are safe to write it (especially if you have good programming hardware).

Thanks

Are there any issues with "matching" the CPS to the firmware version? If I use a later CPS version and it does not like the firmware, will this always be flagged when I try and read the codeplug.

Are there any issues with installing a later CPS version and then reverting to an earlier version? I was reading about dll's having to be removed in order to install an earlier version with certain versions of CPS.

At the moment I have not installed any version so starting with CPS R12.00.00 is not a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g8tzl2004 View Post
    Are there any issues with "matching" the CPS to the firmware version? If I use a later CPS version and it does not like the firmware, will this always be flagged when I try and read the codeplug.
    You should be able to read almost any firmware version with the latest CPS. There really isn't a big need to match firmware to the CPS. If there really was, you and a whole lot of other people would be out of luck with your model 1 radio.

Quote Originally Posted by g8tzl2004 View Post
    Are there any issues with installing a later CPS version and then reverting to an earlier version? I was reading about dll's having to be removed in order to install an earlier version with certain versions of CPS.
    As far as INSTALLING and reading the radio goes, you should be OK. But remember if you write to the radio, you are stuck with the newer of the two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You should be able to read almost any firmware version with the latest CPS. There really isn't a big need to match firmware to the CPS. If there really was, you and a whole lot of other people would be out of luck with your model 1 radio.
    The only caveat I would add to Jay's comment above is that if you use a CPS version which is older than the Host version, it may not support some features added in later firmware?

As far as INSTALLING and reading the radio goes, you should be OK. But remember if you write to the radio, you are stuck with the newer of the two.
    Well normally yes, except you will find on this forum a utility called "CpFix" that will roll you codeplug version backward (two choices, roll back to R12 or R09).
    Andrew

Thanks

Excellent point on cpfix (and excellent utility)! Bottom line to the OP is use the latest you can and you'll likely be OK.

Thanks

Excellent point on cpfix (and excellent utility)! Bottom line to the OP is use the latest you can and you'll likely be OK.

I keep reading about CPS R17.00.00 bricking radios - is this true?

OK on the codeplug revert utility - I will do more reading but why would you want to go back to an earlier codeplug...I guess its if your radio has been programmed by someone else with a later version of CPS and you only have an earlier CPS version??

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Yes, 17 is known to be unstable, I would recommend 16 or 18.

Bingo - the CPS won't read the radio if a later version was used by someone else. "Version poisoning" is what I call it...

Thanks

[QUOTE=Alpha;20376]Yes, 17 is known to be unstable, I would recommend 16 or 18.

Thanks. I'm now glad I'm always cautious and spend hours (days?) reading up before I attempt to program a new radio

I wonder how many have just used CPS R17 and bricked their XTS5000?

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 874 Posts

R17.01.02 has pretty much cleared up the issues some were experiencing with R17... Most notably, firmware upgrades over USB was causing some significant problems.

There is a thread here on P25.ca discussing this, including posts from folks who have blessed R17.01.02 and are having no further issues with it.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

Just to be safe, since I primarily use USB, I avoided all the 17.xxx versions. I just waited with 16 until 18 got the official okey-dokey.

Thanks

R17.01.01 might be quite stable but it would take forever to read and write my codeplugs. 18 is far faster, for me at least.