Thread: Icom IC-F2821D tweaks?

VK3RX No Longer Registered

Default Icom IC-F2821D tweaks?

I'm using a 15 element yagi to hit a couple of repeaters about 20 & 50 miles distant, hilly terrain in between and not surprisingly P25 comms receive & transmit are usually broken i.e. lost packets causing missed syllables. Analog is good both ways with a tiny trace of noise.

I realize the distance is a stretch for P25, I'm wondering if there are any TX/RX P25 parameter tweaks worth doing for this model that might improve things.

The 2821D is new, purchased mid last year, it had firmware v2.8 but I rolled it back to 2.5 because that was said to improve things but I haven't noticed any change to my issue.

syntrx No Longer Registered

P25 should in most cases be reasonably clear when analog FM is close to unusable.

No transceiver alignment issues on either end?

VK3RX No Longer Registered

No alignment issues this end I'm aware of. Comms between the Icom and an XTS5000 locally using P25 are fine. The repeaters are dual mode analog/P25 which itself might be problematic but I'm not aware of issues.

Our local fire service is moving to P25, and users are reporting P25 is unforgiving of weak signals i.e. dropouts and chopped up audio, whereas analog in the same location might be noisy but at least intelligible.

I recall reading a post somewhere from a tech in a U.S. service depot saying he always made some standard tweaks from the default before putting the radios into service, but I can't find the post and am not sure if it related to Icom or Moto.

Thanks

If you are setting up the system use a P25 rated service monitor and measure the bit error rates at a remote location where your having issues. They should remain pretty constant unless the signal levels are really too low. You can have a second tech at the transmitter site adjust the levels for best recovered packets at your remote monitorin location. You can reverse the proceedure to tweak the levels for a radio from you to the transmitter site. Once you have these values you can measure the deviation and such and match the fleet to them.