Thread: XTS 5000 Audio

Thanks

Default XTS 5000 Audio

I think that something might be wrong with the speaker in my XTS 5000. The TX audio is all good, but the RX audio doesn't sound on par to what I've heard out of other 5000s. It has a sort of buzz to the receive audio. The tones that come from the speaker when a button is pressed also don't sound clean. Does anyone have suggestions? I've seen pictures of inside the housing, and I think the screw by the speaker might need to be tightened.

Thanks

Do you have, or can you borrow a 'known working' remote speaker/mic (RSM) just to try?

This would eliminate the speaker in the radio itself, if you get clear audio from the RSM then you could reasonably expect that it's a hardware problem (ie you may need to replace the speaker)?
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Mar 14, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 484 Posts

As Bigfella says try a speaker mic if that fixes the issue then either the speaker is blown or possibly you have got garbage on the speaker, often in outside enviorments you pick up magnetic dirt and this builds up on the speaker. Take the radio apart and try cleaning any of this stuff off.

Thanks

I do not have access to an RSM at the moment. I will definitely need to get a case tool to open it up. I think what I was talking about is the speaker retainer. Could it be loose or not? Just a guess. I will check to see about cleaning it.

spectreman No Longer Registered

Hi Pilot.
    I recently purchased a VHF XTS5000 from Panter, and it has exactly the same audio problem as your radio.
    Does not sound nearly as good as my other UHF 5000. Where did you get your radio from ?
    When I get home I will test out my RSM with it and report back.
    Cheers, Chris.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
    Hi Pilot.
    I recently purchased a VHF XTS5000 from Panter, and it has exactly the same audio problem as your radio.
    Does not sound nearly as good as my other UHF 5000. Where did you get your radio from ?
    When I get home I will test out my RSM with it and report back.
    Cheers, Chris.
    I bought mine from islandradio09 on eBay. I just knew something wasn't right with the audio because I was expecting more from it. I'm waiting on buying a new housing kit from Wiscomm so I wont't have to worry about it anymore.

Jacob

Ok, when I use a RSM on my radio, the audio is fine, sounds much better.
    Looks like the speaker is faulty alright. I looked at the new housing kits from Wiscomm, but they are expensive alright,
    half the price I paid for the whole radio ! I am wondering if a batch of 5000 housing kits have recently come out with dodgy
    speakers in them. My radio did have a new housing installed.
    Jacob, please let me know how it goes with your replacement housing when you get it.
    Cheers, Chris.

Thanks

Try taking the speaker out and cleaning it. It most likely is full of metal shavings or iron dust. It happens all the time, even from environments you wouldn't expect.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks for the advice. I will check the speaker, but it is a new housing with hardly any use, so I don't think there will be too much metal dust in it.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Panter is somewhat notorious for having bad speakers in his housings. Many were bought from a Motorola parts depot that had a sprinkler/fire and some/most got wet resulting in rusty and or bad speakers. The speaker itself can be had for around $10 on MOL however soldering it to the flex can be tricky if you haven't done so before.