Thread: Reading Bit Error Rate from XTL2500

Thanks

Default Reading Bit Error Rate from XTL2500

Hello,
    I am trying to figure out how to read BER and RSSI from an XTL2500 and/or an APX 6000 800 MHz P25 radio.
    I am able to use the tuner app to put the radio into test mode, and I can use a serial port sniffer to see the BER data streaming across, but I would like to write code in Java to emulate the tuner app and command the radio to report BER and RSSI and to change frequencies. This is for a drive test application that I am working on.
    The problem is that I can not decipher the command sequences that put the radio into test mode and set the frequency. I can see the commands streaming across the wire, , but they do not seem to be repeatable.
    I have it working fairly well on a Harris P7200 radio, using the HDT mode, but I am not getting anywhere trying to figure out the Motorola commands.
    Can anybody shed some light on this problem?

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.
    Regards,
    John, N1CTF

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

There is a similar project underway, a Russian fellow here is making software called "MotoTools" that works with Astro Spectras, maybe that can be modified for your needs. Basically, it sounds like you have similar requirements, in that you want a "soft control head" for the radio, essentially (with RSSI display). Maybe you can search and find that thread and try to ask if the author could add RSSI value capture/printout, perhaps?

There has also been some discussion of the internal radio SCI bus packet structure as well, I believe... Search and ye shall find...

Thanks

Check out the XTS5000 Basic Service Manual, Section 6 page 12, for an overview of how this test is performed. This is a "receiver" test and utilizes a preselected signal from the service monitor in P25 mode fed into the radio thru the antenna port for decoding.

Thanks

You'll need to write a native hardware interface library if you'd like to use Java. You need to control certain aspects of the serial port at 1ms resolution, and on a modern PC, account for the UART FIFO as well.

Using Windows, this is proving to be very difficult to come up with an implementation that works on all machines. Motorola installs device drivers (COMMSBEP and COMMSB96) with some versions of cps.