Thread: Astro spectra+ upgrade

Thanks

Default Astro spectra+ upgrade

I'm trying to learn more about the Astro Spectra PLUS. I saw where Mars referenced the vocon upgrade in another thread and it brought up a few questions. Is it as simple as getting a Astro Spectra in the split I want and changing out the vocon board? Seems like there would be more to it. I am in the market for a P25 mobile for my truck and while the XTL mobiles look nice they are a little out of my price range and it seems like the Astro Spectras go for a lot cheaper but then again it seems like one that will fit my needs rarely comes on the used market (high power remote mount) . I would like to have one to do 440 Ham plus my commercial stuff up to 470 but I doubt there is a split that will do both. I can forget the ham stuff if need be. I require P25 trunking hence the need for the PLUS model. If anyone can provide any information on the upgrade and the cost of it I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Yes you only need to change the vocon board to convert the unit from ASTRO to ASTRO25. You would need a codeplug with any ASTRO25 features you want but thats a different issue and is not that difficult to install (provided you can find one that you want).

the board is available from Motorola its a HLN6837E its listed at $488 us last time i looked.

The band limits can be edited for what you want , if the vco will hold its lock you will be ok.

Thanks

Wow $488. I wasnt expecting it to be that much. I see one dash mount on ebay for 350 or so so that's not a bad idea. I suppose since it uses astro25 to program that the depot software would load a new flash like in the xts portables. Just not sure if mobile and portable depot is the same or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar1307 View Post
    I'm trying to learn more about the Astro Spectra PLUS. I saw where Mars referenced the vocon upgrade in another thread and it brought up a few questions. Is it as simple as getting a Astro Spectra in the split I want and changing out the vocon board?
    Yes, pretty much. Motorola will "provision" the board at the time of order, but I have no problem stating on the record Motorola is COMPLETELY USELESS AND ABSOLUTELY RETARDED when it comes to provisioning any AS+ vocon, except 800 MHz.

I have ordered 4-5 HLN6837Es. The VHF and UHF vocons I ordered came with 800 MHz tuning partitions!!! MORONS!! Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar1307
    I would like to have one to do 440 Ham plus my commercial stuff up to 470 but I doubt there is a split that will do both.
    You need the range 3.5 (I think?) It's 450-485 MHz. Without hardware mods, it will work down to 442 MHz no problem. This is the split I use in the truck. Our repeaters are 443-445 MHz (+ offsets) and everything is great.

I can forget the ham stuff if need be. I require P25 trunking hence the need for the PLUS model. If anyone can provide any information on the upgrade and the cost of it I would appreciate it.
    You're looking at about $360 for the vocon. I'll drop you a PM with contact information. There's a dealer who will be willing to sell for much less than the $488 ripoff price.

A few other points which are important:

- The UHF (450-482) split has a "soft limit" of 450.00000 MHz. Below this frequency, the digital tuning values are no longer referenced. Everything is out of alignment. I have expert-level experience in working with the ASTRO Spectra Plus, and have identified the soft limit. I can shift it down to 440 MHz for you, no problem. It's a codeplug tweak with special tools -- not Depot.

- Moto is not going to sell you an ASTRO25-enabled AS+ vocon for $360. If you want to try and hack it on your own, be my guest. If you have any "troubles", you can always drop me a note.

- If you require secure operation, you will require a AS+ UCM. These are identical to the regular ASTRO Spectra UCMs, except they're loaded with firmware version R05.xx.xx, instead of R03.xx. The R03.xx firmware UCMs do not work with the AS+ vocon. I can sell you a UCM which will work with the ASTRO Spectra Plus. They're loaded with DES-OFB/DES-XL/DVP-XL/AES-256/ADP. Latest firmware. AS+ UCMs are very rare; I'm not aware of a source for them besides Moto or my stash.

ASTRO25 Portable Depot will not program the AS+ vocon. And on that note, no further discussion of using current Depot in this thread, please.