Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "warning" BAD problem wile scanning txwarn p25

towman79 No Longer Registered

Default "warning" BAD problem wile scanning txwarn p25

So, "somebody" programed an efj 5100 to no affiliate scan txwarn p25 system (1a7 montgomery county sim. site). all of the channels have tx disabled, but some how it stuck keyed up on a primary dispatch channel for about 20 minutes before someone recognized his voice and called him to tell him.

not sure what caused this problem, just thought I would let everyone know to be carefull with these radios and who you let operate them.
    might be a good idea to cut the mike off so at least they cant here you if it happens.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 843 Posts

Correction...

somebody programmed an EFJ to no-affiliate scan INCORRECTLY.

Programmed correctly, this cannot happen. No need to cut off microphones, PAs or perform other radio voodoo.

i knew somebody would say that......
    what could be done wrong in the programing to cause this?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

A bunch of stuff; certainly a manageable set of parameters.

For specific answers to your question, I'd recommend reading the two threads here on no-affiliate scanning.

No Affiliate Trunked Scan Discussion

No Affiliate Trunked Scan Instructions

not trying to be smart@## but i have read them. i really beleive there is an internal problem with this specific radio.
    it just all by it self keyed and was stuck

Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 653 Posts

That is very odd. When using the hidden talkgroup method of no-affiliate scanning, if the radio keys up it will be on a conventional channel and not a TG. Were you scanning TGs from a scanlist linked to a conventional channel, or scanning TGs directly but with TX inhibited?

as long as you disable tx on all chanels there is no way that you can fisicaly make the radio key up. if program it were those talkgroups are accesible then the radio will try to afiliate but you still cant ptt and key up.

the only way it works without affiliating is to scan from the conventional channel

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I'm no radio tech (others here are), but if the radio keyed up its due to a programming error, a hardware problem, or the radio's CPU puked all over it self and went bat**** crazy.

If the radio keyed up, it had to have been programmed to key up on something - regardless of whether or not it got "stuck."

Edit to add: Are you high? You're not making much sense. You appear to be answering yourself.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to junk that radio. I was thinking that you were parked on a TG with TX inhibited. When accessing a TG directly, and relying only on TX inhibit, I suppose that the software could glitch and key the radio bypassing the TX inhibit setting. That's another case for the hidden TG approach. But, if this happened using the hidden TG method, it's time for a new radio.

well, it wasn't. if you are finished flexing your brain muscles, i was just warning everyone that it could happen. I have aquired lots of usefull info from this site so i was trying to contribute. thanks

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Whoa...!

badass_decal.jpg

thats what im thinking #6, this radio was aquired very cheap on ebay in unknown condition. you get what you pay for huh.

instead of telling people how stupid they are, we should be offering assistance and insite to help each other. that is what this site is for, not to let everyone know you are smarter than them. just sayin

Thanks

Gentlemen, let's try to keep it civil. I also suggest that, if the reply is to a specific person, you reply with quotes so that we at least can identify to whom you are replying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by towman79 View Post
    instead of telling people how stupid they are, we should be offering assistance and insite to help each other. that is what this site is for, not to let everyone know you are smarter than them. just sayin
    Nobody is calling you stupid, they are saying what you describe is physically impossible if you programmed your radio correctly. If programmed correctly, the radio will be parked on a conventional channel and if it did happen to transmit, it would do so on the conventional channel. What you are describing is not possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,458 Times in 2,330 Posts

Why the **** was there no TIME OUT TIMER set up? INFINITY?!?!? Should be no longer than 30 secs (minimum in Moto gear) -- even less, if possible. And definitely set talk-permit tones up so you know if the damn thing is on the air.

Definitely a programming issue, one way or another. Let's hope no public safety personnel or the public were put at risk during the time this unauthorized radio was tying up the talkgroup. Sheesh. And there will DEFINITELY be an investigation of some sort. And to document it here on the board isn't very wise

Thanks

Just to stick my nose in where it may not belong, this is a EFJ radio in question, and they cannot be programmed like the motorola so the no affiliate thread doesn't really apply. The scan lists in my EFJ's are either trunking or conventional except for the radio wide scan list, and I had odd behavior with the units I tried to use radio wide scan for.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Just to stick my nose in where it may not belong, this is a EFJ radio in question, and they cannot be programmed like the motorola so the no affiliate thread doesn't really apply. The scan lists in my EFJ's are either trunking or conventional except for the radio wide scan list, and I had odd behavior with the units I tried to use radio wide scan for.
    Magnus, that's very imporant information to know since sellers on that popular auction site are advertising the EFJ 5100 as a rebadged XTS5000. If you cannot scan a trunking system from a conventional channel using this radio, then you are actually parked on a talkgroup and the radio could try to affiliate even if TX inhibit is enabled. That's a serious legal issue, not to mention the safety issue resulting from about 20 minutes of system degradation due to the glitch in this particular radio that caused it to transmit.

Thanks

Damn Tow Truck Drivers!!!!!

Thanks

I will echo what Magnus said... I purchased an EFJ to listen to a new P25 system in my area and very quickly determined that the no affiliate scan trick does not work. For starters you cannot slave individual scan lists to individual conventional channels. Your only option is the radio wide scan list that is limited to 16 members... But they can basically be any talkgroup from any programmed system. It works... But it's a pain in the ass. They are nice radios, but for passively monitoring an Astro25 system look elsewhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by towman79 View Post
    So, "somebody" programed an efj 5100 to no affiliate scan txwarn p25 system (1a7 montgomery county sim. site). all of the channels have tx disabled, but some how it stuck keyed up on a primary dispatch channel for about 20 minutes before someone recognized his voice and called him to tell him.

not sure what caused this problem, just thought I would let everyone know to be carefull with these radios and who you let operate them.
    might be a good idea to cut the mike off so at least they cant here you if it happens.
    Personally I would leave the mic atached so they CAN hear you and possibly resolve the issue ASAP...but that's just me. I, for some reason, put officer safety above whatever trouble someone else may get into.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Why the **** was there no TIME OUT TIMER set up? INFINITY?!?!? Should be no longer than 30 secs (minimum in Moto gear) -- even less, if possible. And definitely set talk-permit tones up so you know if the damn thing is on the air. ~
    And what the **** is wrong with the system admin, a 20 minute Tx equals 'Inhibit command' on most systems, let alone the fact that the radio has obviously been affiliating all along?

Some people really should stick to scanners!
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 8,458 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    And what the **** is wrong with the system admin, a 20 minute Tx equals 'Inhibit command' on most systems, let alone the fact that the radio has obviously been affiliating all along?

Some people really should stick to scanners!
    Since it wasn't a TDMA talkgroup (EFJ5100.. obvious) the sys admin couldn't inihibit the transmission-in-progress. TDMA allows for all kinds of nifty features, such as transmit interrupt, inhibit, etc. -- all to an active transmission.

Thanks

Correct. Since the radio was always transmitting it never went back to the control channel to process the inhibit command.