Thread: Questions and answers about XTS2500RB radios

Thanks

Default Questions and answers about XTS2500RB radios

Edit by Magnus: This thread began as questions about a radio that was advertised as legit, but had mismatched tags, It is legit and here is the lengthy explanation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Magnus; Mar 22, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 695 Posts

Question... do you know how/why CPS shows a a different model number than the model number shown on the tags (PW7BN vs. PW2BN)?

newtomotorola No Longer Registered

Nothing gets past the mods, love it

Thanks
    Thanked 8,795 Times in 2,413 Posts

OK, before any of this gets out of control:

- Many of us are very perceptive and aware of what to look for in auctions/sales. That's been apparent the last couple of days.
    - I respectfully ask any further comments only be posted if they relate to directly communicating with the seller about their item.

Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Question... do you know how/why CPS shows a a different model number than the model number shown on the tags (PW7BN vs. PW2BN)?
    That is because it was born as a Reband radio that was very limited in features and now it is no longer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsxxr1300r View Post
    That is because it was born as a Reband radio that was very limited in features and now it is no longer.
    The H46UCH9PW2BN model number on the tags would indicate that the radio was born as an XTS2500RB, which is a radio configured by Motorola to operate only on 800 MHz 3600 baud trunking systems. Those radios were sold on a limited basis to customers who needed a replacement for radios not capable of operating on rebanded trunking systems. The H46UCH9PW7BN model number shown in CPS would indicate that the radio has since been lifted to a 700/800 MHz radio. It would have been helpful for you to have provided that information in your original post to explain the discrepency in model numbers. It would also have been helpful to post a screen shot of the tracking info so that members could see the manufacture / original programming date of the radio.

Thanks

The H46UCH9PW2BN model number on the tags would indicate that the radio was born as an XTS2500RB, which is a radio configured by Motorola to operate only on 800 MHz 3600 baud trunking systems. Those radios were sold on a limited basis to customers who needed a replacement for radios not capable of operating on rebanded trunking systems. The H46UCH9PW7BN model number shown in CPS would indicate that the radio has since been lifted to a 700/800 MHz radio. It would have been helpful for you to have provided that information in your original post to explain the discrepency in model numbers. It would also have been helpful to post a screen shot of the tracking info so that members could see the manufacture / original programming date of the radio.
    Thank you for the clear explanation and I'm sure that will clear any question about the original birth certificate. As requested here is the Tracking Info from the CP.
    It has been flashed a # of times keeping up with recent firmware releases.
    Attachment 3106
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

My explanation may not clear up all of the questions. I wasn't aware that Motorola ever made an RB radio in a BN version, and I also wasn't aware that the H38 flash upgrade that was field installed in 2010 would change both the flashcode and the model number.

I also thought that Motorola stopped making RB radios in 2006 per the following:

"In order to comply with the FCCs reconfiguration mandate, Motorola has created a rebanding version of four of our subscribers with feature sets that match the standard specifications of the radios being replaced. The XTS 1500 RB and XTS 2500 RB are the portable radios that will be provided for replacement products for NPSPAC trunking licensees per licensee agreements with Sprint Nextel. The XTL 1500 RB and XTL 2500 RB are the mobile equivalents of these units.

Since Motorola was able to write and fully test the Rebanding software ahead of schedule, all Motorola XTS and XTL series radios shipping since late January 2006 have the new Rebanding software already installed."

In any event, my remaining question is whether the UCM was installed at the factory or was field installed.

Thanks

I can shed some light on this, some of this may be repetitive but oh well.

1) RB model radios were provided by Sprint Nextel to replace radio's that needed to be rebanded but could not be reflashed to do so.

2) There were AN and BN radios made depending on when the system got rebanded. (I have a BN and have distributed AN units)

3) In some cases legit users owning their own radios got them replaced by Nextel, provided they were on the list at the time of inventory. (I have one)

4) The radios can be flashed to just about anything, including smartzone, 9600 trunking, you name it they can do it. When this is done the model # is changed to open up the 700 band.(Just added digital,9600 trunking, ADP and a host of other features to about a hundred of them for Motorola)

5) If the customer had 256k MTS2000's with securenet encryption in use they were replaced with RB units with UCM's in them.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Magnus, you are a wealth of information as always, and I would say that you filled in all of the blanks.

Thanks

Here is the information in a flashkey key that allows the changes to be made.FlaskKey.JPG

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

That's very interesting! I have never seen one where the input and output model numbers were different... Presumably with that they could legitimately upgrade a model 2 to a model 3 or anything like that. Very informative, thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's very interesting! I have never seen one where the input and output model numbers were different... Presumably with that they could legitimately upgrade a model 2 to a model 3 or anything like that. Very informative, thank you!
    Absolutely! As long as you have the $ they have the time! And your welcome.

Thanks

This is great information, and I want to thank you for putting up with my interrogation. Inquiring minds like ours just need to know!

Thanks

This is great information, and I want to thank you for putting up with my interrogation. Inquiring minds like ours just need to know!
    Not a problem and it's all good. Glad that I could contribute some good information for the board members. This thread might be even worth to be a sticky.
    Last edited by gsxxr1300r; Mar 23, 2013 at 01:23 AM.