Thread: Las Vegas Metro PD to go P25 Phase II

MODAT No Longer Registered

Default Las Vegas Metro PD to go P25 Phase II

After deciding to dump Open/DesertSky (best decision they ever made) looks like Las Vegas Metro Police Department will be switching to Phase II.

http://www.lvmpd.com/Portals/0/news/...mAgreement.pdf

Thanks

Oh, Opensky didn't work for them? Who would have thought that?

Thanks

about time.... they brokensky was a failure from the get go

I wish I had some audio clips offhand to post of just how great Opensky has worked for them, what a joke. I'll try to get some up when I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MODAT View Post
    I wish I had some audio clips offhand to post of just how great Opensky has worked for them, what a joke. I'll try to get some up when I can.
    Please do. After seeing how little thought went into the first gen mobile radios, I can only imagine how poor the system itself sounds.

radi.jpg

Thanks

I've never seen one of those heads. What a piece of crap.

Thanks

Whats the Spectra/X9K for? And that M/A-Com thing is atrocious. What company would offer a product like that... Embarrassing.

Thanks

the spectra was for the old VHF system. the brokensky radios were in the cars in 2009 when I was there not being used

Thanks

I've got some clips from my trip to Vegas last summer... Listening to the strip VHF channel (which was a patch to OpenSky) it would quite frequently sound like a CD skipping... reminded me of Max Headroom.

That sounds about right. I heard that the officers relied more on their cellphones than the radios in a pinch. If you've seen some of the recent episodes of Cops that feature LVMPD you'll see that they use their cellphones to run people, not their radios. Probably advised to do so to avoid the public embarrassment of their radios performance. The "broken record" effect that you heard was\is the main problem of the system. Sometimes it's really bad. Hard to maintain officer safety when the time comes that you need help and all the dispatcher can hear is "Ida thirt-een-een-een-een-een-een-een-een-een-een". It's pretty rediculous.
    Last edited by MODAT; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 651 Posts

Our local utility operator (Centerpoint) recently switched from Smartnet (SID 003c, no less) to OpenSky, but they're using M7300s in the trucks. Their usage is primarily mobile data, though the Smartnet system was used extensively for phone patch. I'll bet that sounds lovely now.

Default LVMPD Open/DesertSky Audio Clips

Here are some audio clips. Bear in mind that these were taken from a conventional analog channel that the Opensky audio is patched to so some "quality" may be lost in translation, but hopefully this will help you get the general idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 880 Posts

So why is dispatch legible and the mobiles aren't?? Sounds like poor optimization. I have NEVER heard the multiple data sampling loops like the 'broken record' sound on any other system. That is simply inexcusable.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,742 Times in 1,931 Posts

Sounds to me like dispatch console is directly interfaced with (like a wireline) whatever analog channel they're patched to. No vocoding going on at dispatch; only portables/mobiles.

OpenSky is garbage. Sounds worse than the piece of crap ham radio system around here. Wow. People pay millions for that junk? I'd be suing.

Thanks

Sounds like errored transport or extremely high BER. I think we can safely say OpenSky was likely a rush-to-market product. IIRC, their first 800MHz portables were actually made by Kenwood.

Thanks

If I remember right, Originally OpenSky was to be a data-only trunking system that they could sell to complement a voice trunking system, however someone at M/ACom then had a grand idea to combine it into one network. The problem is that it ended up being basically a RoIP over cellular system, hence the awful sounding audio.

Back when NYS was triailing OpenSky for the SWN (and ultimately pulled the plug), what was amazing me that even though the portables showed a full signal to the tower and claimed it was ready, you press PTT and it bonks. The reason was that it could not talk to the server to grant it yet the tower said it could...

In Vancouver, BC, the Coast Mountain Bus Company, which operates the bus side of TransLink, the transit system there, they have an OpenSky system just for the buses and use a lot of the data functions for bus tracking and what not and far as I understand, that works fine.