Thread: EFJ Ascend ES / 5100 / 51SL Hardware

Thanks

Default EFJ Ascend ES / 5100 / 51SL Hardware

I'm working on a EFJ 51SL and have diagnosed a bad logic board on the unit. What are the hardware differences between the 5100/Ascend/51SL radios? Do they all use the same internal hardware, but different firmware? Or are there more differences. I don't have an Ascend to look at yet, but was curious.

Some of my research seems to indicate the Ascend had a slightly different UI board, but i'm not completely sure of the others.

Thx
    -B

Thanks

The only difference is the name. Ascend was the name of the 5100 that typically had Multi-Net optioned in them.
    There is a difference between the series numbers (series 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6). But within the same series they are typically the same hardware. The only exception to that is the LT version of the radio which have a lower spec RF deck in them

Thanks

Great information, I appreciate all of it.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Does the Model 1 have a display under the plastic?

Thanks

No. But all the models do have a full keypad. Just need the rubber buttons, and of course to enable it in the options.

Thanks

Is it possible to swap logic board between radio of a different band?

For instance, can I take a v4 900mhz logic board, pair it with a UHF RF board (v2) and load a UHF codeplug?
    Last edited by Integrator; Mar 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks

No. The radio will recognize the difference and give you a BAD HARDWARE error message at power up.
    Been there, tried that.

Thanks

I swapped a UHF RF deck into a 900 and it didn't so much as make a wimper (both V4). Turned on like all was normal. Didn't try to key up though. Only had 1 UHF RF deck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    I swapped a UHF RF deck into a 900 and it didn't so much as make a wimper (both V4). Turned on like all was normal. Didn't try to key up though. Only had 1 UHF RF deck.
    Were you able to load a UHF codeplug using normal software?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Integrator View Post
    Were you able to load a UHF codeplug using normal software?
    No it still thought it was a 900 MHz radio. Not sure what would have happened if I had keyed up.

Basically it wasn't very interesting, except that it didn't complain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    If they were both Version 4 you'd be fine. The OP mentioned a Version 4 swap with a Version 2.
    You'd need to retune the radio though. For some weird reason the tune values are stored in the UI board and not in the RF deck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    If they were both Version 4 you'd be fine. The OP mentioned a Version 4 swap with a Version 2.
    You'd need to retune the radio though. For some weird reason the tune values are stored in the UI board and not in the RF deck.
    I've run into the latter issue several times.

But you're saying that a UHF deck would key up on a frequency when driven by a 900 mhz UI board with 900 programming?

kd8gua No Longer Registered

It seems to me that if you were to swap parts from the same version number (ie. 1, 2, 4) and then reinitialize the radio with PCTune, and then do an alignment, it should work. While not the same sort of project, I was able to use PCTune to reinitialize my high power VHF 5300 in the band I needed. Turns out that EFJ only sold the high power radio in a 146-174 flavor, however, PCTune lets you reinitialize as a high power 136-162 radio. I kept the tuning values close to where they were, and I haven't had any problems!