Thread: ASTRO Spectra question.

Thanks

Default ASTRO Spectra question.

Hi all.

I've been trying to do a little research and I'm looking to determine if the "site and talkgroup packing" (maybe conventional TG scan would be another name for it) method is tied to 9600 baud trunking capability or to Q806 (IMBE/APCO P25) feature set?

I'm looking to possibly pick up a W3 Astro Spectra that does not have 9600 trunking flashed in. I am obviously looking to RX only on a Phase I P25 system.

Thanks!

Mark

Thanks

If the system isnt 9600 baud then you should be ok.

Thanks

If you're talking about the hidden talkgroup scan method (scan from a conventional channel into a trunking system) and the system is a true P25 Phase 1 system, then you will need the 9600bps (not baud...) trunking capability and the proper special firmware (R10.72.00). If the system is an old-school 3600bps Type 2 system with IMBE CAI, then a regular Astro Spectra will work fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    If you're talking about the hidden talkgroup scan method (scan from a conventional channel into a trunking system) and the system is a true P25 Phase 1 system, then you will need the 9600bps (not baud...) trunking capability and the proper special firmware (R09.72.00 IIRC). If the system is an old-school 3600bps Type 2 system with IMBE CAI, then a regular Astro Spectra will work fine.
    The method I'm referring to is different from hidden TG's and is laid out in this video:

I'm sure most have seen it. Basically you set up a conventional personality, enable ASTRO talkgroups within that personality. Add the site channels to your Zone/channel list (tied to the aforementioned personality), scan them all and you're in business.
    It does not require a system key and does not utilize the control channel data at all. You select the wildcard TGID to listen to the whole system or select a particular TG of interest, provided that you have input the correct NAC for the site in question.
    I am able to do this with my current ASTRO Spectra, which has a "recent" firmware revision and has 9k6 in the flashcode. It also appears it would work with my VHF XTS2500 with FPP. So It looks like this functionality came with a firmware revision at some point and would have nothing to do with the flashcode - at least in the XTS series.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

It should work on any system and radio even if the system is P25.

All you're doing is scanning the trunked frequencies as conventional and using conventional talkgroups to select which talkgroups you listen to.

As long as your radio is P25 capable and supports conventional talkgroups, you should be good. I don't think Motorola ever released a P25 capable radio that didn't support conventional talkgroups.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Yep, if that's the method you're using, you should be good.

Thanks

Cool. Thanks, guys.