Thread: No PL decode in XTS2500 VHF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

Default No PL decode in XTS2500 VHF

Ok, here is a weird one. Customer this year updated their codeplugs from wideband to narrowband VHF. They went from carrier squelch on all channels to PL on receive. XTS2500s, Model II, 20plus zones. No trunking, all conventional. Most radios work just fine, this is a small subset of radios that were ordered with trunking as part of their flash.

These particular radios now suddenly after reprogramming do not decode PL. ANY PL. No DPL either. After examination, receivers are fine, the F/W was at R09 and now is at R19. No difference. The history on these is that they have been edited and reprogrammed or cloned over and over at least once and probably twice a year since new and when channels changed. This is the first time that they have ever been used with PL on receive. (I know, but hey, it's in the boonies. At least the REPEATERS have PL!)

What I need to rule out is any kind of dumb programming issue. Is there a SIMPLE way of deleting all programming information with an overwrite, or a sure fire way of deleting everything so I can write a single personality/mode/zone in the radio for test? This is driving me nuts. I bought a brand new 32oz. dead blow hammer tonight, just in case....

Thanks

If signalling is used make sure the signalling squelch is set to "or" and not "and". There no easy way of loading a blank codeplug unless you have one with the same model and flash.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

No such luck. No signalling. We checked that. Its on every channel. I ran into this once with an HT1000 and it turned out to be a bad IC, but never with an entire subset of radios.

I'm gonna dump the whole codeplug and start over and see what happens.

Thanks

What repeaters do you use?
    I've noticed that an XTS (no matter which model, I tried 2500, 4k and 5k) and even XTL would not decode PL 131.8 transmitted by Icom repeaters and portables. The radio would just not unmute if this PL is set regardless of the repeater signal strength (PL is 100-percent present since other portables DO unmute)!
    I haven't found any other solution than disable this particular PL. Don't know about the compatibility of Motorola Astro25 radios with other Icom PLs, but an XTS works fine with PL 67.0 for example...
    Anybody knows why it does happen?

Thanks

Did you try radio to radio off the network between new and old to see if the issue is with the infrastructure/repeaters or with the radios?

Thanks

I'm sitting here with the thing plugged into the brand new R8000 (my personal one) after having verified the problem with my bench 8920B. I'm gonna wipe the codeplug and start from scratch.

I've apparently got a pile of them with the same issue, so its either a firmware/radio bug or a bad codeplug. At this point I'm more inclined to a bad codeplug. I'll know in an hour or so.

Thanks

Yup. When starting from scratch, no issues. Apparently, somewhere a cloning or copy paste issue was introduced. I updated FD from R09 also. That wasn't the issue however, but it was done as a matter of routine.

Now to repopulate all the zones/channels and test it again, from a known good codeplug.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 444 Posts

it is possible the issue was caused whan you crossed over the v11 codeplug map change in the firmware update. Especially when a the whole group acts the same.

As you are reprogramming from a "clean slate" and everything is ok the rest of the channels should work once you have the programming done. Note you can also use the copy channel in the dropdown rather than creating all the individiual channels.

Thanks

I didn't do a firmware update until after I addressed the issue with the decode problem. I upgraded one radio, which didn't change the problem, and it existed with the R09 versions so I went looking elsewhere.

Since I started with a clean slate radio, I had a known good mobile codeplug to do a top level from. That saved a LOT of typing. 25 zones. 19 Personalities. 16 channels per zone.

This particular subset of radios have always been a problem, as they were ordered with Smartzone for some reason, and were never the same as anything else this fleet had.

Thanks

I've been having a similar issue with my XTS5000. My problem started when our company upgraded our towers from an old radio link to an IP link. Since they did that, my radio has not been able to decode the PL or the tones. The HT1250/CDM1250 we have have had no issues, so I'm forced to just leave my radio in CSQ all the time. It's only this one tower, so I think the issue is on their end and not mine, but since it appears to be only my radio, they will not bother to fix it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,682 Times in 2,388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dasnps View Post
    I've been having a similar issue with my XTS5000. My problem started when our company upgraded our towers from an old radio link to an IP link. Since they did that, my radio has not been able to decode the PL or the tones. The HT1250/CDM1250 we have have had no issues, so I'm forced to just leave my radio in CSQ all the time. It's only this one tower, so I think the issue is on their end and not mine, but since it appears to be only my radio, they will not bother to fix it.
    Pin the coax on the repeater. It'll burn it out, and they'll be forced to replace it or repair it. Hopefully they'll do an alignment of the repeater during any servicing. Problem solved.

That's how **** gets done.