Thread: Astro Spectra Squelch range

Ironyak No Longer Registered

Default Astro Spectra Squelch range

Hello,

i recently acquired a VHF Astro Spectra with the W3 control head. I have a side button programmed for Mon On/Off and with a long press I can adjust the squelch setting. The squelch will not "open" until I get down to a setting of "0" so I leave it sitting at 1. Some distant signals are not strong enough to break squelch at this setting. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to adjust the squelch scale increments. Squelch values 2 thru 16 are pretty useless at this point. Any thoughts?

thanks for your time!

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Search is a wonderful thing:

https://www.p25.ca/showthread.php?t=3009
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Cyrus,

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I tried searching several combinations of "astro, spectra and squelch" but never came upon that thread. I wonder if I was only searching in the Astro Radios forum. Sounds like my squelch woes are not new. I will give this a try. Now to find MTSX Lab...

Thanks again for your quick response!

Will No Longer Registered

Sometimes I have to change some SM component values in the Squelch circuit to get a really good Squelch action. Seems to depend on the noise content in the particular radio, not all are the same.

I'm hopeful that the mod to the s record will do the trick. The radio receives the weak signals well if the squelch is fully open. The No. 1 setting seems to be just a bit too high. I'm working thru the tutorials on record editing. I've got a lot of learning to do. That and I need to resurrect a computer that will run MTSX Lab!

Thanks

an xp computer should run it fine. you can also use a program called dos box to run it in later versions of windows.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    an xp computer should run it fine. you can also use a program called dos box to run it in later versions of windows.
    Sure, it'll run on XP. But don't try to program in a XP window. INSTANT brick. It doesn't work.

I have never used anything other than a computer with true dos to run any of the older programming software. I plan to read the s record tonight once I am back in town.

We are having the same conversation on Mars' thread about the squelch mod. Feel free to close this thread. Thanks for everyone's help!