Thread: EFJ 5100ES P25 progrmming

chudson No Longer Registered

Default EFJ 5100ES P25 progrmming

Couple of questions..

1. I tried to program my radio to work with a P25 system for our SAR team. I had the correct NACs but was unable to communicate, just receive. I checked the 'digital squelch' box on PCConfigure. I read some where that checking the digital squelch is the equivalent to using F7E/293. I did enter the proper NAC used on our system, but does check the DS box over ride what I tell it to use?

2. Is is possible to clone from a Moto Astro XTS handhelds to the EFJ 5100s?

Correction on Model. It's the 5100SL, NOT ES. Not that it probably would matter, but just in case.
    Last edited by chudson; Apr 04, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

I assume you're trying to get into a P25 repeater system since you mention trying to get into a P25 System, have you double checked your transmit frequency to make sure it is correct? If you are decoding P25 I think its safe to assume that you do have P25 enabled in your radio. Have you verified that the radio is putting out power?

It may be possible I need to correct my input freq. Transmit works fine. I do have P25 enabled. I just thought that having the digital squelch checked over rid the entry for the NAC you enter. I assume that isn't the case and digital squelch has to be selected to decode any NAC you tell it to use or you wont get any audio. I'm SOL not 'cause the UDC flex circuit where the programming cable and accy's go went bad and I have been searching for hours trying to find a replacement part with no luck.

Thanks

chudson you cant clone from moto to efj. but if you use the moto "print codeplug" feature you can print out you codeplug and then manually copy the info without having to have both peices of software running.

I'm going to get a programming cable. I've just been using a homebrew that doesnt work very well. Can you decode the model for me? It's 242-5113-622-BA

Thanks

EFJ 5100 (not 51SL), VHF (136-174Mhz), Full Key Pad, came with a VHF antenna and an alkaline battery case, in an Orange Case, Analog/P25, 512 Channels and FPP. The difference between the 5100 and 51SL is that the SL does not support a full range of encryption while the 5100 does. The 5100ES/51SL-ES are the newest generation of these radios while the older non-ES models are the legacy radios, they are no longer supported by EFJ.

Thanks alot. If it helps anyone, I have 1.16.9 loaded in my radio and when I called EFJ about PCConfigure, they told me it used a way older version of it and they were wrong. I was able to successfully use version 1.28.0.8. They said a version that was way lower to use.

I'm also afraid to upgrade the firmware because I heard from a couple of people that this older version of radio will spit out a DSP error after you upgrade it. Now, I just need to sweet talk EFJ into getting a system key so I can do trunked systems. Maybe I can tell it to use affiliation on PTT to bypass it. I know some radios will let you do that.

Thanks

The 5100 is an older radio. I believe 1.18.0 is the latest firmware that radio will handle. I've upgraded a few 5100s without issue, they are cheap enough these days to experiment with. Spend some time on Google, you'll find instructions on what is involved in the upgrade. Read them then evaluate the risk/benefit ratio. Good luck sweet talking EFJ into getting a system key...

What differences are between 1.16.9 and 1.18.xx

Thanks

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I'd be curious to see the differences in firmware revisions for EFJ myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chudson View Post
    What differences are between 1.16.9 and 1.18.xx
    When I get a second I can pull up my notes and post. Might be later tonight or later this week though. BUSY BUSY BUSY!

Thanks

Default 5100 1.18.15 release notes

Found it by accident.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Awesome, thanks!