Thread: XTS/MTS Bluetooth adapters

Thanks

Default XTS/MTS Bluetooth adapters

Does anyone here have experience with the aftermarket and Motorola OEM Bluetooth transmitters that attach to the side of the MTS/XTS series radios?

I am interested in using a Bluetooth adapter to transmit radio audio to a video camera using the XLR input....see below for the receiver.....

http://www.jkaudio.com/bluedriver.htm

I don't know much about Bluetooth, but do I just attach these devices, then press a pairing button, some light blinks, then the camera hears the radio?

Also, do the MTS2000, XTS3000, and XTS2500 use the same Bluetooth adapters?

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 2,394 Posts

The Moto adapter is nice. It has a switch which enables/disables routed audio to the headset/radio speaker. When bluetooth disconnects (range, battery, etc.) it automatically defaults back to radio speaker. When I worked as a shooter, I used this BT adapter every night. It was absolutely worth every penny. As you likely know, it's easy to get tunnel vision and focused on a call you're covering, meantime a larger incident is going down somewhere else but you don't know about as you're not aware...this BT is the only way to roll. In areas where agencies are "scanner sensitive" or you wish to be discrete, BT headset is always assumed as being for cell phone, so no one knows the wiser.

The other adapter on ebay ($100~) also works, but it does not revert to speaker when BT headset is shut off or battery dies. This sucks IMO. But it does work. There's no toggle switch on it for BT/speaker either.

I picked up the TRBO/APX version of it as the APX BT feature only works with Moto "mission critical" headset crap, and not the BT standard. If you ever add a APX to your arsenal at work, you'll have to buy the $100 eBay BT adapter if you want to do the same thing described above.

Thanks

I really really like the Motorola audio/toggle feature.......I would obviously like to be able to start the radio "feed" at the push of a button, and return the radio to normal ops just as easy.

Are the aftermarkets and OEM's compatible with all the normal BT stuff out there, like my 3 year old vehicle NAV system? Could be cool to pump the radio through the cars speakers if need be? My main concern, not knowing or having too many Bluetooth devices, is that I won't be able to pair the set......I see lots of talk about entering codes and screens etc....but the radio adapter, and the XLR plug, both only have a button and LED......do you think they would pair automatically, and if I call the company, is there anything specific I should ask them to assure compatibility before ordering?

If you can confirm the Motorola (can you provide the best part number?) will function with typical off-the-shelf Bluetooth cell phone headsets and car GPS systems, I will look to order one today.........and yes, covert monitoring is a good thing.......also, scanning for other "calls" off the hip with the volume turned up can interfere with the ability of others to concentrate, and can become a feedback nightmare.

Paul

Thanks

If you can confirm the Motorola (can you provide the best part number?) will function with typical off-the-shelf Bluetooth cell phone headsets and car GPS systems, I will look to order one today.........and yes, covert monitoring is a good thing.......also, scanning for other "calls" off the hip with the volume turned up can interfere with the ability of others to concentrate, and can become a feedback nightmare.
    My RMN 5104A works on XTS and Jedi stuff. Use it with a Plantronics Pro Plus headset which supports dual pairing, works like a charm. Lower cost BT headsets will work too but the battery life on the Pro is better because higher cap battery. Battery use on the headset is high as the RX audio path is active all the time. Never tried to pair the adaptor with any other BT like car audio or the like.

Dave

Thanks

Per google...

Your search - rmn5401a - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    • Try different keywords.
    • Try more general keywords.

Can you recomend a place to purchase at the best price, eager to get it ordered right away.......I have the NAV system and a Bluetooth stereo headset to play with already. :-)

Paul

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

It's RMN5104
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

I concur...it is really nice and use it with a dual pairing Plantronics as well. I also have a friend that uses it with his blue tooth capable hearing aid. Works like a champ.

Thanks

OK, I ordered the kit with the H300 (cheap and I might have a source for free AAA batteries!) along with the XLR adapter. Can't wait to play with the Bluetooth with my car's NAV system. I will report back how that works out.

Thanks for your help everyone....i am very excited about this expensive purchase, I think it will work out well.

Paul

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

I also have one, and the only thing I will say is if using a non-Moto BT headset, you may have issues with battery life. Just be aware that from the BT headset's point of view it's like being continuously connected on a call, so that will tax the small batteries in most headsets in 4-6 hours max typically. The H300 has a HUGE battery to give it about an 8 hour battery life, IIRC. It's not that the Moto is any more efficient, but just has large batteries (AAA), comparatively...

Thanks

Just got the Bluetooth kit......paired easily with the headset...had a little trouble getting it to reconnect, but now it does it in 5 seconds after power-up of the radio.

The audio is WEAK...VERY WEAK with the H300 headset. To make matters worse, turning up the radio doesn't increase the volume, it just adds distortion. The H300 does work with my cell phone as well, but again, very low audio even with everything turned up. Forget about using this to listen while anywhere near traffic......much less a fire scene.

Tried to connect to my car's NAV system. It pairs, and it shows up on the selection page, but refuses to connect. It says to connect "from the device". The Motorola has one button.......how do I connect from that? I am dubious about whether or not this thing will connect with anything other than the H300 headset........looks like I made an expensive mistake.....we will see.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 8,712 Times in 2,394 Posts

It does work with generic headsets. I use a plantronics.

Audio is quiet. Thank OHSA people for that.

Thanks

Forgot to mention how the speaker toggle functions........the Bluetooth connection persists even when you have the radio speaker on.........if my camera feeding XLR plug can connect, then I can hear the radio speaker at the same time as the Bluetooth feed....would be very nice......if it connects.

Paul

Thanks

Which Plantronics do you guys have that are dual pairing? I can see this device being sorta handy if I can listen to the radio and take a call from my cell and it would switch back after I hang up. I imagine an in ear earpiece would work a lot better than the "speaker 1" from the ear" design of the H300.

My mom just bought a new flip-cell-phone, so I can give her the H300 as a gift. :-)

Paul

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

The Plantronics I had was a dual-pairing model but the problem is the Moto BT adapter acts like it's a phone that is always engaged in a call, so there is no way for the "other" device (your cell phone) to "break in" since the radio is always connected. At least that was the trouble I had with it, as a single device it seemed to work fine. You have to push down and hold the PTT button on the adapter to force it into pairing mode, IIRC.