Thread: XTS2500 Housing, speaker, flex and keyboard swap from Model 1/5 to Model III

snarlingrabiddog No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 Housing, speaker, flex and keyboard swap from Model 1/5 to Model III

I have a few XTS1500's and XTS2500's. They are the BN models. The units are 1.5 models and I need to transplant the speaker, LCD and flex assemblies into Model III housings. The Model III housings are just the shells.

I've managed to get the components out, such as the shield, keypad, LCD and removed and I am attempting to tackle the speaker and flex next. The issue I'm running into is that on the inside of the programming port, the flex connector appears to REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY be on there and I'm afraid I might damage an expensive flex trying to remove it.

I'm not sure if there is some sort of adhesive that the factory applied to that part of the flex, but it doesn't seem to want to come out and off the pins. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I'm at my wits end (a short trip, I admit

Thanks

Yank that sucker out by the base. Just be firm, but gentle at the same time. A fubared flex is nobody's friend.

Thanks

Not sure why this was in the lounge. Please post to the appropriate forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 693 Posts

Do not yank on anything. I've removed that connector many times and it's seated too tight for yanking. Use a flatblade jeweler's screwdriver to pry it off of the pins, working side to side a little at a time.

Thanks

For my friend Dan
    http://youtu.be/cOK6mxZGAg4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 484 Posts

Exellent post radio crazy. I have added it to my files. Thanks

Thanks

If only the person operating the camera knew how to operate it properly. Camera phones should not allow you to record in pillarbox mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezking View Post
    If only the person operating the camera knew how to operate it properly. Camera phones should not allow you to record in pillarbox mode.
    No person operating the camera, doing the removal and phone leaning on a box.
    New vid for Pezking:
    http://youtu.be/Pa5edkIMyKg
    Last edited by Radio Crazy; Apr 09, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Thank you all. Al that video saved my flex and numbe6, I used a watch screwdriver and it did the trick. I think yanking it would possibly do damage to the flex. Its seated on there with a rubber-based adhesive at the top of the housing ridge - (at least mine was). The prongs are really, really tight. Its not an easy job but once its done, if you're gentle, you'll get it out. I gently worked it out following every step in the video Al and it worked like a charm.

Its a difficult process removing the internals but I'll try to do a video on it at some point for the LCD and keyboard when I can. I've needed to do this to a few of these units but they sure aren't easy to wrangle out of there. Again Al, thank you VERY, VERY much As long as you follow those steps in the video of Al's and use a small screwdriver and avoid letting it slip and gouge anything, you'll be a happy camper!

Even in a 1.5, they put a full keyboard in mine. From what I've been told, its not flashable for activation. I ordered a couple so they are on the way. Jeff at Sandy said Motorola has been known to do that from time to time.

I don't get on message boards much so I figured this was the thread to use. Feel free to move it to the proper position on the board so more folks can see it. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snarlingrabiddog View Post
    Even in a 1.5, they put a full keyboard in mine.
    If you take a close look at the keyboard, you might find that it is missing the poppets. In 1.5s they usually use a stripped down version of the full keyboard (e.g., can't be used as an actual keyboard) to make up the connection to the display.

I thought that the keyboard felt a little unresponsive. It will be nice when I get the Model III hardware in and have it flashed and firmware upgraded to current. I didn't want to damage any part because Motorola is getting higher and higher on replacements. I am trying to keep mistakes to a minimum, but figured I had to learn this disassembly process because these units (if used with parts from Motorola and not used or overseas knockoffs) are VERY good and while I'll always like the XTS5000's more, these have a very good track record in both the public safety and business sectors. I thank everyone for their input. The video and your tool tips and knowledge in disassembly and operation of these units are invaluable. Thanks again. The unit reads and writes without issue and tx and rx are great so no damage has been done thanks to your advise.
    Last edited by snarlingrabiddog; Apr 10, 2013 at 01:55 AM.