Thread: 5100 Impres/Smart Batteries

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Default 5100 Impres/Smart Batteries

I am trying to find some high capacity Smart batteries for my 5100s. I have a mix of generic used batteries as well as NOS Motorola batteries, and none of them are Impres/Smart, so they cannot be conditioned in either a Moto Impres or EFJ conditioning charger. My NOS Motorola batteries are around 3500 MAh, and my generic batteries are supposedly 4000+ MAh, but being used, I doubt they are close. I can get about 8-10 hours out of the Motorola batteries, 13 out of one of my generics, and about 15 from the other generic.

I have a Motorola Impres battery that would not initialize as an Impres battery in an Impres charger, but after manual conditioning in the EFJ charger, it works as a normal Impres battery. The problem is capacity. This battery is listed as being only 1750 MAh, and it shows. On my 5100s, it lasts maybe 4-5 hours.

Basically I'm looking for the highest capacity XTS or 5100 batteries that have Impres or Smart conditioning capabilities. Apparently the EFJ conditioner only works on Nickel based batteries, and I'm not sure if my single bay Impres chargers can handle Li-ion batteries. Even though EFJ makes a conditioning charger, it doesn't appear that they make a condition-able battery. I have both an EFJ 5100-360 and a 5100-363 battery, and neither are able to be conditioned. Thanks for the help!

Thanks

I've had nothing but good results from the genuine knockoff motorola chinese lithium batteries on eBay. They're funky and they're a tight fit, but I've gotten nearly 18 hours of use out of them. Keep meaning to do a capacity test...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kd8gua View Post
    Apparently the EFJ conditioner only works on Nickel based batteries, and I'm not sure if my single bay Impres chargers can handle Li-ion batteries. Even though EFJ makes a conditioning charger, it doesn't appear that they make a condition-able battery.
    If it's the WPLN4114AR SUC, then it is tri-chemistry and will work great with Li-ion batts. As for the biggest OEM XTS IMPRES battery, that'd be the NNTN6034A, Li-ion 4150 mAh.

Thanks

If you go the aftermarket route, I HIGHLY recommend the PowerProducts BP8299LI. It's Li-Ion 4400mAh. Mine seems to last a good week of normal use without needing a charge. Very light weight, too. Solid construction. Dealer cost is $60 something, I forget what MSRP is.

ers404 No Longer Registered

I also recommend the Power Products batteries! Dealer cost is more then $60.00 and MSRP is around $140.00.
    Best of all the Power Products batteries also come with a belt clip! They also make a battery for the XTS 1500 & 2500 and XPR 63xx & 65xx radios.