Thread: convert astro trunk to astro plus

viper314 No Longer Registered

Default convert astro trunk to astro plus

Ok so I have an a spectra high power trunk mount radio with an systems 9000 head, this radio was converted for me by a member of this board a few yrs ago to an asto digital trunk mount. worked very well now I decided to convert it to an astro plus. I put the vocon from an astro plus in place of the astro vocon and the radio works great. The problem is I cant read or write to the radio either from the mic cable like an astro plus or the db25 connector like and astro. This wouldn't concern me so much except that I would have liked to run through the tuning partition after the swap. there is a big difference on the p25 side between the two so it has been worth it. After reading through some things we thought it was because of the interconnect board so we ordered an astro plus interconnect for the high power astro plus. But when I disassembled it to replace the board I found it already had the correct one in it. any thoughts ????

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

If that was an analog unit at one time, it may still have the old "face" board (the one with the 2 DB -25's) and that might be missing lines or jumpers the AS+ requires. Upgrading the board to a regular Astro Spectra one may fix it, that adds lines for flashing which are the ones the AS+ uses for everything. If you feel adventurous, check the part number of that board if you can locate it and see if it's still the old analog Spectra one.

I might have an Astro Spectra one lying around somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If that was an analog unit at one time, it may still have the old "face" board (the one with the 2 DB -25's) and that might be missing lines or jumpers the AS+ requires. Upgrading the board to a regular Astro Spectra one may fix it, that adds lines for flashing which are the ones the AS+ uses for everything. If you feel adventurous, check the part number of that board if you can locate it and see if it's still the old analog Spectra one.

I might have an Astro Spectra one lying around somewhere...
    Thanks alpha, Ill take a look and see before i see you next. If i need it or not, ive had it apart before so whats one more time. I thought for sure it would have just taken it from tbe keyloader slot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper314 View Post

Thanks alpha, Ill take a look and see before i see you next. If i need it or not, ive had it apart before so whats one more time. I thought for sure it would have just taken it from tbe keyloader slot.
    Did you not say in your first post that you already swapped out the interconnect board? Or did I read that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by JMR061 View Post
    Did you not say in your first post that you already swapped out the interconnect board? Or did I read that wrong?
    Yes i assumed that was prob the issue. but i put in a new one for an astro plus. It was the same part number anyway and it made no difference.

Thanks

What is the part number?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

If you're sure the replacement was an AS+ front, and it still won't talk, it's pretty much got to be the command board under the VOCON, then. Or maybe the ribbon cable between the front and the command boards, but you've eliminated my best guess. AFAIK there is no difference between the AS+ and the regular Astro Spectra interface and command boards.

As JMR sez, what are the P/N's?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 484 Posts

Might be a jumper on the command board that isnt set for the head?