Thread: Trouble with P7150IP UHF-H

Thanks

Question Trouble with P7150IP UHF-H

Have a P7150 (M/A-COM Branded) here that is UHF-H. I cannot get it to program. Using a Price Industries MRK/PRISM/LPE/Jaguar ribless programming cable and ProGrammer R18.

Radio won't read or write. I hold down all three side buttons and power up, and get the screen full of filled in blocks, and the software complains it cannot read the radio, but the top portion of the display says "Program" and the next line down says "Self Test".

Says PERS VER 25.00, FLSH SIZ 2M, RAM SIZ 128K, EEPR SIZ 2K, FLSH VER J2P02A69, DSP VER F6P01A09. Features menu isn't enabled so I can't tell what the options are.

Any idea why this won't program? I can't do anything with it in RadioMaint either, same problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 995 Posts

Did you try reading it with RPM 5 or newer?

Thanks

I don't have RPM.

Thanks

That looks like really really old firmware (current is J2R18xx I believe)... not sure if that has something to do with it or not. Personality version 25 would indicate Programmer 11 (was there even a Programmer 11?). Usually the Pers Rev minus 14 will tell you what version of Programmer is was last done with. Have you been able to program this radio in the past?

Thanks

No. I got it as-is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 995 Posts

Does it have anything programmed into it already, or does it have just generic test channels? It does sound really really old. Does it have the factory SN tag? You may have to do a recovery and write the feature encryption string to it, which means you will need a flash and dsp and feature string for that radio from TAC. 128k RAM with that small a flash might require a rewrite every time it is programmed too. I had some very old Orions that had small flash space that had to be erased each time you wrote a new personality to them.

Thanks

It just has default test junk in it - P25 Group 1, P25 Group 2, Provoice Group 1, Provoice Group 2, Analog Group 1, Analog Group 2, things of that nature.

It didn't have factory tags on it, so I'm assuming it might've been a proto or demo.

I gave it back to the guy at the radio shop who gave it to me, and told him I didn't have time to screw with it since it wasn't straight forward to program. The hell with it.

Some day I'll find a P7170IP for the UHF ham band at a decent price that doesn't require hours/days worth of bull**** to program.

And Harris wonders why they really are no competition for Motorola in the Public Safety market.