Thread: Astro Sprectra Plus Cable/Mic Connector Pinout

Thanks

Default Astro Sprectra Plus Cable/Mic Connector Pinout

Does anyone happen to have the pinout of an HKN6155 AS+ cable or the pinout of the front mic/programming port? I've looked thru various service manuals and haven't had any success finding the pinout for the port as of yet. Looking to homebrew a programming cable.

Thanks!!

Thanks

Ok... Found the pinout for the P104 Mic Connector. Does anyone happen to have the pinout for the cable?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

That's gonna be a tough one, the cable has a level converter molded into the middle. It uses the outside 4 pins, much like the keyloader does, to access the serial bus. The other end of the cable is a DB-9 of course.

When you plug the cable in the AS+ goes into a programming mode that blanks the display on the radio which renders it inop until you remove the cable if that helps. The DSM should show what pins go to which bus line on the board. From there it should be easy enough to emulate. Although for me, as rare as the AS+ is to get these days, I would just buy the factory cable and not risk bricking the radio.

Thanks

com501 thank you for these clues, as you probably know from my other thread the easiest project for my homemade mic connector is this astro25 cable. If the cable was $50 I'd probably buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    It uses the outside 4 pins

When you plug the cable in the AS+ goes into a programming mode that blanks the display on the radio which renders it inop until you remove the cable if that helps.
    So the outside 4 pins are the only ones used in this application?

I tested the connector and all 10 pins seem to be making good contact. Pin 10 has a 5v pullup in the radio.

Thanks

I know FOR SURE that the outside pins HAVE to be involved, but there may be others, its been a while since I had to do any troubleshooting on the AS interface board.

There is going to be a data bus, a line to pull to place the radio in program mode, probably a ground and probably a Vref. I would look at a regular astro spectra programming cable for clues as to what lines you are looking for, they are more than likely going to be VERY similar, just translated to the keyload port via the interface board. Remember, this is basically a fancy astro spectra with a different computer that talks to Astro 25 software but the basic RADIO is the same.

Thanks

I think you can even stick a mike on the front port and it will work.....

Thanks

I have the concrete saw guys here in 7 hours to start cutting my driveway for new security gates, so I will check back tomorrow evening if you have any other questions. I am sure there are a few others on here that have also dealt with these beasts. They aren't as plentiful as a lot of other radios, since they were a short lived transition, but they are a great radio when you can find them.

Thanks

I RTFM and learned that pin 9 (vpp) should get about 8 volts to put the radio in codeplug programming mode. I think a good way to handle this will be to use some high ohm resistors as a voltage divider between b+ and ground.

There is also 12v put here for flashing mode, these are easy voltages to control.

Of course this is only about astro25 - legacy astro needs no such signal to begin codeplug stuff.

Thanks

OK Here is what you need to connect to read a codeplug with cps!

Pin numbers are on the mic connector (Motorola's numbering from the BSM)

1 = GND
    4 = B+
    8 = MIC HI : Connect to B+
    9 = VPP : Connect to B+ voltage divider 22k:75k
    2 = RX : Connect to TXD
    10 = TX : Connect to RXD

These txd/rxd are inverted 5v levels: do not connect to a serial port - i used a um232 usb thing that i stuck on a breadboard - a max232 will give the same result

The following must be solved to do flashing:
    How to connect pin 6? (RESET)
    How to switch VPP from 10V to 14V? (what controls this on the serial port)

I've managed to not get the logic analyzer out this far but someone tell me how to start a flash upgrade and I'll figure this out.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys... That's great. I was hoping it would be more of a simple rs232 interface, but go figure. I'll see what parts I've got kicking around here but it's likely easier to just pick up a cable perhaps.

Thanks

I showed a photo in my other thread but if you ever made anything out of a max232 you can use it instead of my usb junk to get the same result

Thanks

Cool I will look into that... I've got lots of 232's/233's around here to play with.

Thanks

Actually I've got an old cable here that I think was for a regular Spectra. It's got a 232 in the shell at the DB9... I'll get rid of the DB15 and rework something for the mic connector.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Actually I've got an old cable here that I think was for a regular Spectra. It's got a 232 in the shell at the DB9... I'll get rid of the DB15 and rework something for the mic connector.
    There was a post a while back that a data modem cable was used successfully to program and flash a plus. May want to look into building that.

Thanks

I saw that too.. If it indeed works I'll look into it. The cable I have was given to me with a bunch of stuff and some of the wires had broken off from the db15, so I'll have to track down a pinout for that too.

Thanks

I have a control head cable with a DE9 male hanging on a pigtail at the control head end. Is this for the same kind of "data modem" fixture?