Thread: XTL 5000 power up issue, need advice

MOTOROLANUT No Longer Registered

Default XTL 5000 power up issue, need advice

Ok Gang, need some help here, Installed my XTL 5000 high power radio with an 05 head and it powers on all the time with the power button press, BUT I want it to auto power up only when the vehicle is running and auto power off when the key is removed.

Here is what I done:

Red main radio case Power to 12V constant power source.
    Red 05 head power wire to 12V constant power source.

Radio programmed in CPS under Radio Wide Advanced tab to Soft Power off

Yellow O5 head ignition sense wired to 12 V source only when key is in run position. verified on/off power voltage by multimeter.

But I noticed the radio powers up with or without the yellow O5 head ignition sense wire connected as well.

Sorry for the stupid question but this has me stumped...
    Last edited by MOTOROLANUT; Apr 20, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks

I had an Astro Spectra that had some jumpers set in the control head that made it do something like that. However I don't own any XTL's so I dont know if they can be configured like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 992 Posts

Soft power off means you can power it up from the control head power button OR it will follow the ignition sense. If you want it to ONLY follow the ignition sense, you have to change the setting in the drop down to follow ignition only or something like that, not sure of exact wording. OF course, that might bite you in the butt if you ever need to bench the radio, it means it won't power up on the bench WITHOUT the ignition sense lead....

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Soft power off means you can power it up from the control head power button OR it will follow the ignition sense. If you want it to ONLY follow the ignition sense, you have to change the setting in the drop down to follow ignition only or something like that, not sure of exact wording. OF course, that might bite you in the butt if you ever need to bench the radio, it means it won't power up on the bench WITHOUT the ignition sense lead....

From the CPS help menu:

Required:

• Radio powers-on with a radio-user power button press only if "Ignition" is present, or
    • Radio automatically powers-on when "Ignition" is present only if the radio turned off due to ignition being removed, or
    • Radio powers-on with the Emergency Power Up feature.
    • Radio powers-off with a radio-user power button press.
    • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is lost, but only when the radio was powered-on with the power button.

Soft Power Off: (Available Only When: the radio is model / option capable)

• Radio powers-on when "Ignition" is detected, or with a radio-user power button press, or with the Emergency Power Up feature.
    • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is lost, or with a radio-user power button press.

Ignition Only Power-Up

• Radio powers-on when "Ignition" is detected, or with the Emergency Power Up feature.
    • Radio powers-off when "Ignition" is lost.
    • Radio does not power on or off with a radio-user power button press.

My biggest goal was to have the radio power off after the vehicle key was removed (vehicle turned off), as not to come out to a dead battery by forgetting to turn off the radio..LOL.
    Last edited by MOTOROLANUT; Apr 20, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

I believe the ign sense wire from the control head will not power-down the brick, only the CH?

If this were a mid-power radio you would also need the ign sense wire connected to pin #25 of the J2 (rear 26-pin) connector for the brick to follow the ign as well, but obviously a high-power doesn't have a J2?

Do you have a Y-cable connected to the J600 (front 25-pin) connector? These are used if an O3 HHCH is fitted to a high-power radio to get speaker audio out, but I believe also to provide ignition sense to the brick, I don't have a high-power XTL myself so I'm unable to test the theory, but I think that's the only way to get an ign sense wire into a high-power brick?

EDIT: From Figure/Table 9-8 in the XTL BSM (page #9-11), pin #1 of the J600 (front 25-pin) can be used for ign sense so I guess you could make your own cable using a standard DB-25 plug?

To quote the BSM:

"Pulling this line to ground will activate PTT function
    normally selecting AUX_MIC input. Jumpers exist onthe TIB to change this pin to IGNITION or VIP_IN 1
    at 3.3 volt levels."
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Apr 20, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I believe the ign sense wire from the control head will not power-down the brick, only the CH?

If this were a mid-power radio you would also need the ign sense wire connected to pin #25 of the J2 (rear 26-pin) connector for the brick to follow the ign as well, but obviously a high-power doesn't have a J2?

Do you have a Y-cable connected to the J600 (front 25-pin) connector? These are used if an O3 HHCH is fitted to a high-power radio to get speaker audio out, but I believe also to provide ignition sense to the brick, I don't have a high-power XTL myself so I'm unable to test the theory, but I think that's the only way to get an ign sense wire into a high-power brick?

EDIT: From Figure/Table 9-8 in the XTL BSM (page #9-11), pin #1 of the J600 (front 25-pin) can be used for ign sense so I guess you could make your own cable using a standard DB-25 plug?

To quote the BSM:

"Pulling this line to ground will activate PTT function
    normally selecting AUX_MIC input. Jumpers exist onthe TIB to change this pin to IGNITION or VIP_IN 1
    at 3.3 volt levels."
    No I don't have a y cable, so do you think the brick is powered even though the control head is off?
    Although, I checked my other 05 high power installs and they are wired the same (no Y cable) as my current project.
    Also I just found this in a XTL 2500 install manual which should be the same as a XTL 5000 O5:

Required CPS setting
    • Radio POWERS ON when the Power Button is pressed and Ignition is present.
    • Radio POWERS ON when Ignition is cycled and radio was previously ON.
    • Radio POWERS OFF when the Power Button is pressed, or when Ignition is lost.

I think I'll change my Codeplug settings to Required and see what happens.
    Last edited by MOTOROLANUT; Apr 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks

No I take it back, looks like the brick power state is controlled via CAN protocol also, from page 3-10 of the XTL BSM:

3.4.4 Power Management
    The remote mount radio system uses a CAN protocol for turning-on, turning-off, and resetting the
    entire system. That means for normal operation, you will never have only part of the radio system
    operating. Either it is “all on” or “all off”. ~ The ATMEL AVR, advanced RISC microcontroller is
    used on the O3, O5, and TIB to power-on, power-off, and reset the entire radio system.

So it seems the IGN sense wire on the O5 CHIB can power the brick on and off. Apologies for my previous assumption!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    No I take it back, looks like the brick power state is controlled via CAN protocol also, from page 3-10 of the XTL BSM:

3.4.4 Power Management
    The remote mount radio system uses a CAN protocol for turning-on, turning-off, and resetting the
    entire system. That means for normal operation, you will never have only part of the radio system
    operating. Either it is “all on” or “all off”. ~ The ATMEL AVR, advanced RISC microcontroller is
    used on the O3, O5, and TIB to power-on, power-off, and reset the entire radio system.

So it seems the IGN sense wire on the O5 CHIB can power the brick on and off. Apologies for my previous assumption!
    No problem, I deeply appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks

To rehash what was already said in hopefully a different light...

1) Soft Power Off works like it does on the portables, ignition sense works like the On/Off "Click" of the Volume knob on a portable and when this option is set in the codeplug, requires the push of an additional button to turn the whole radio off (basically it is a two-factor turn off) - This is not what you want.

2) The radio remembers the reason the radio was turned off last, so:
    - If you use REQUIRED in the codeplug you can still power the radio off with the power button but need to use that button to turn it on next time (plus of course the 12v on ignition sense)
    - If you use IGNITION ONLY, then the Power Button becomes useless and only uses ignition sense for power on/off

3) If you were to bench the radio, it is important to know that in addition to the controlhead yellow wire, 12v ignition can also be "sensed" at the 26-pin connector (found on the back of mid-power models or faceplate on high power models) so if you bench the radio without a control head, you can still interact with the radio with CPS, Tuner, etc by applying 12v to that 26-pin connector.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat4Turbo View Post
    To rehash what was already said in hopefully a different light...

1) Soft Power Off works like it does on the portables, ignition sense works like the On/Off "Click" of the Volume knob on a portable and when this option is set in the codeplug, requires the push of an additional button to turn the whole radio off (basically it is a two-factor turn off) - This is not what you want.

2) The radio remembers the reason the radio was turned off last, so:
    - If you use REQUIRED in the codeplug you can still power the radio off with the power button but need to use that button to turn it on next time (plus of course the 12v on ignition sense)
    - If you use IGNITION ONLY, then the Power Button becomes useless and only uses ignition sense for power on/off

3) If you were to bench the radio, it is important to know that in addition to the controlhead yellow wire, 12v ignition can also be "sensed" at the 26-pin connector (found on the back of mid-power models or faceplate on high power models) so if you bench the radio without a control head, you can still interact with the radio with CPS, Tuner, etc by applying 12v to that 26-pin connector.

Hope that helps.
    Much appreciated for the detailed explanation.