Thread: Syntor X9000 odd problem

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Default Syntor X9000 odd problem

I have a low band X9000 and have really had no programming issues with it ever (once I got the correct era PC).

I have updated the frequencies in it, and the radio drawer programmed just fine. I then opened up the control head programmer and modified the display names. Upon programming the new information, the code plug uploads, but fails during verification. I get a flashing Verification Error message and the control head reverts back to the previously programmed information.

I can read the control head information just fine. I can even read back the current control head's code plug back to the control head, and it will verify properly.

What's going on? My next step will be to initialize a brand new blank control head code plug. I will post my results when I have the chance.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

8k or 2k?

You can read the eprom using chprog and then write it back, but if you make changes it fails verify?

How fast a computer, and which version of chprog are you using? Are you using a computer that caches the processor? What version of DOS?

Thanks

You are probably on the right track, a failed eprom will do that. The original Xicor ones had a MTBF of about a million writes, and failures are rare, but they do occur.

8k. I don't have the model number of the control head in front of me at the moment. I can read and write back the unchanged code plug using chprog ver. 6.00. I can even write an unchanged copy of the code plug saved to the computer back to the control head.

I'm using an off-brand 486 DX-2 33 MHz processor, 512 k memory, 230 MB hard drive, running DOS 6.22. The control head has successfully read and wrote in the past, and i haven't added any channels, I still have the same 64 I previously did, just changed a few frequencies. AFAIK the drawer is fine and accepted the new frequencies without hesitation.

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Can you go into the bios and disable the cache? I have to do that with my old EPSON 486 SLC 33 before it will work correctly.

Thanks

I use to have the same problem with the internal cache on my 486 33Mhz with certain Motorola DOS programs. I had a program that would disable internal cashe (ICD) and would enable cache (ICE). I used these programs in a batch file ICD, program exe, ICE. I probably still have the program somewhere.

Thanks

There is a program called SLOWINT1 (distributed with SLOWDOWN) which gets it working on my 486 thinkpad, which is too fast on the slowest setting.

I know it's not a computer issue. I've programmed the radio and control head many times with this same exact setup before. I'm going to try a different control head. I think I have another 8k capable control head somewhere.

I was able to successfully program a backup control head that I have. So this tells me that the EPROM in the original control head has gone bad.

Which EPROM is used to store the code plug information? I have found two removable EPROMs under a metal cover on the back half of the clam shell housing, and one on the display board that is soldered on.

Thanks!

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

IIRC the one that is socketed... what version head is it? Check Mike Blenderman's site: http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/syntorx9k/controlx9.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kd8gua View Post
    Which EPROM is used to store the code plug information? I have found two removable EPROMs under a metal cover on the back half of the clam shell housing, and one on the display board that is soldered on.
    It is the 24 or 28 pin chip, marked with 2816 or 2864 under the motorola sticker, the other chips are not "eproms"

Fantastic. Looks like I'll be picking up a 2864 EPROM then. I find it amazing that EPROMs go bad like that. Perhaps it is my limited experience with electronics, but regardless, it is an easy fix. I've already put a new 28 pin in the drawer unit to make it a 64 mode radio, never got crazy enough to do the 128 mode hack.

Thanks

2816 for 32 modes 2864 for 128 modes (up to 210 realistically) The Xicor brand is the OEM choice, if you can find one. Don't get carried away on speed, get the slowest ones you can find.....

I probably have a dozen 1033 control heads with 2k eproms if you need them.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

IIRC to aim on the safe side, you want a -20 part, not a -25 part or -30. 200 ns is sufficiently fast enough.

Thanks

Nothing to worry about if you are buying from one of the big distributors. About all that is available new anymore is Atmel and their slowest part is sufficiently fast.