Thread: MTS2000 Purchase

rjk.165 No Longer Registered

Default MTS2000 Purchase

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing an MTS2000 on eBay... I found that you guys posted the CPS for it in a different thread.

I primarily use a Windows 7 laptop, but I know the CPS likes Windows XP, so to avoid issues I have a computer that could do that. I'm 99% sure that the computer doesn't have a serial port, but I'm going to check again just to clear that 1%. Assuming that it doesn't, I have a question. I know that I can buy a RIBless cable on eBay to program it, but it goes from radio plug to serial. So, I found that I can insert a card with a serial port that taps right into the motherboard, but I also found USB-Serial adapters. The USB option would be easier, so I'm just curious what you guys think about using the USB option. If not, would the serial port that taps into the motherboard work?? Thanks.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 843 Posts

Just went down this road...

I use the IOGEAR GUC232A USB to serial adapter. I selected it based on the recommendation in the Motorola CPS release notes. I use it with XTS 2500 and MTS 2000 on Win XP and Win 7 with no issues (note that you are correct... MTS CPS won't work in Win 7).

I got mine here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067VB7/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But pretty much any one with that same chipset should give you no problems.

Edit to add: prior to using USB adapter, I also used a serial card... Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    Just went down this road...

I use the IOGEAR GUC232A USB to serial adapter. I selected it based on the recommendation in the Motorola CPS release notes. I use it with XTS 2500 and MTS 2000 on Win XP and Win 7 with no issues (note that you are correct... MTS CPS won't work in Win 7).

I got mine here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067VB7/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But pretty much any one with that same chipset should give you no problems.

Edit to add: prior to using USB adapter, I also used a serial card... Works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read a lot about USB adapters not working too great... And the serial card option might even be cheaper. And also, I checked, and now it's confirmed that the computer doesn't have a serial port.

I downloaded the CPS on my 7 machine from here https://www.p25.ca/threads/372-MTS2000-CPS-R02-03-00 and I used the Setup.exe I think it was in the files (which I extracted to my desktop). It installed it, I went to open the MTS2000 shortcut it put on my desktop and I got a "The system cannot find the file specified" error. I tried installing on my XP machine, the same way, and I got an error that was something like "unknown radio component". Not sure what either means.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 843 Posts

Well, do what you'd like on the serial port. The USB adapter or the serial card will work fine for you.

This is what Moto says:

NOTE: For computers that are not equipped with
    a serial port, radio communications may be
    possible with the use of an off-the-shelf
    USB to RS232 converter, such as the IOGEAR
    USB to Serial/PDA Converter Cable.

MTS 2000 CPS will install under Win 7. It may very well run. It may not, hence the error you saw in Win 7. Since its officially unsupported, I wouldn't recommend reading or writing a radio with it under 7.

As far as XP, you're getting that error when you run the CPS? I'm a little stumped by that. What little I could find out there led me to OS compatibility issues. The requirements for MTS 2000 CPS are fairly straightforward.

From MTS 2000 CPS ReadMe:

System Requirements:
    --------------------
    Operating Systems: Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher),
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP Home Edition (See Note)
    Windows XP Professional (See Note)
    Vista (32-bit) Home Premium (SP 1 or higher)
    Vista (32-bit) Business (SP 1 or higher)
    Note: XP upgrade or Vista upgrade from other operating
    systems is not supported if the CPS was previously
    installed on the old operating system.
    Windows ME and Windows 98 are no longer supported.
    You may choose to proceed with the installation, but
    some features might not be functioning properly.
    Upgrading the operating system is highly recommended.

Hardware Requirements:
    Processor 400 MHz or higher Pentium grade Processor
    Vista requires 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

Memory 512 MB RAM minimum for all supported operating
    systems except for Vista. Vista minimum
    requirement is 1 GB of System memory

Hard Disk Space 1 Gigabyte Drive with 450 MB minimum free space (for a
    Typical Installation, including Help Audio-Visual
    Tutorials) or 60 MB minimum free space (for a Compact
    Installation)
    40 GB hard drive for Vista

Peripherals Microsoft Windows supported Mouse or Trackball
    Microsoft Windows supported Serial Port
    for radio communication
    Microsoft Windows supported Printer Port
    for report printing
    CD-ROM for software installation

NOTE: For computers that are not equipped with
    a serial port, radio communications may be
    possible with the use of an off-the-shelf
    USB to RS232 converter, such as the IOGEAR
    USB to Serial/PDA Converter Cable.

Thanks

I have a usb to serial adapter as well and never any issues

You get that missing file error when you try to run cps without the software seeing a serial port.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ahhhhh OK.

So if I either have a USB-Serial adapter or if I just plug in that serial card, the error will go away and CPS will start?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 514 Posts

or you can download a serial port emulator and see if the error disappears. The one I use is Eterlogic Virtual Serial Port emulator, works pretty well and is freeware. This is also a great way to get CPS to stop whining when you don't want to read/write radios and haul around a stupid USB to serial cable just to various flavors of CPS like Commercial Series, PR860 and MTS/MCS2K CPS that will throw up if they don't "see" a serial port upon launch.

As far as Windows 7 and MTS/MCS, I've had mixed results reading/writing various MTS radios. Some of them will go into PROGRAM mode but appear to not take the codeplug and just reset at the end of a write in Windows 7. This happens with radios of various firmware versions ranging from 5.44 to 8.73 (the last known version of F/W for MTS2000). Various flashcodes from plain janes to 250 mode whoreflashes.

I use a factory RLN4008E genuine RIB and radio cables, the only variables away from factory are the use of the IOGEAR branded serial adapter and Win7 Pro 32 bit.

Running the same hardware on another XP Pro SP3 machine means success everytime.

Thanks

I also run a IOGEAR USB to Serial Adapter on Win7 64bit...it was running fine with ASTRO25 for a while, then whilst reading the CPS will lock up and go into (Not Responding), not blaming the adapter but something changed of late for it to start doing this, but I moved all my CPS over to Virtual PC/XP Mode (I was running XTS3K on there already) and have had no problems since then....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 514 Posts

that is the drawback to Win7/Win8, there are so many variables- especially since Micro**** will push updates, sometimes new device drivers through Winbugs Update, and something that works yesterday might crash and burn tomorrow.

Remember these radios were designed in the early 1990's, getting them to play nice with mid 2000's computing hardware was fun enough I am sure, but asking for it to work with 2013 era stuff is just asking for a brick. The VM idea works okay, but make sure you give the RS232 exclusive priority.

My two cents: if one plans to keep alot of these older legacy radios around and in service for the near future, it's best to find an XP machine with a real RS-232 port (Panasonic CF-29's come to mind). This is especially the case if you get into flashing these radios.

FALSMITH No Longer Registered

I had no issues with CTS2000 and an MTS2000 --it was easier to program than My Yaesu VX-7r once I figured out personalities/channnels and (sort of)zones.
    I had heard that CTS didnt like serial adapters but I have no serial ports on my Toshiba and I run one of my SDR rcvs off a belkin usb adapter so i gave it a shot and it worked BETTER than the MTSX/MT2000 combo on my old gateway 2000 (ironic) machine, which was slow and clunky and made me nervous about maybe bricking the radio(!)
    I was under the impression none of the Moto SW would work under vista/7 but it ran like a charm.

Thanks

What is a CTS2000?
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

FALSMITH No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    What is a CTS2000?

Sorry its MTS 2000 and the other one is MCS 2000 not CTS my bad

Thanks

Ok just checking. Didn't know a MOF-220 existed till recently.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte