Thread: IP consoles?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,430 Times in 2,323 Posts

Default IP consoles?

Is anyone aware of a IP console or other configuration/hardware/software, which would allow a user to monitor/transmit on a IPSC system, by connecting to the network with a computer, instead of using a radio/repeater combination?

We have a user on our network who would be better served by a IP solution (kind of like using a Echolink computer/headset) instead of a radio/repeater.

Motorola hinted at this in their last system release.

Thanks

Take a look at http://www.smartptt.com/en/
    It might work for you. I just not sure about the cost. A few of the DMR users have this device.

rayray

Thanks

The SmartPTT solution rayray linked to will work. So will TRBOnet. Be prepared for some sticker shock. These are the only two solutions I'm aware of that will currently connect direct IP to TRBO repeaters "As is". They are both ADP's based out of Russia...they seem to have some great software people over there.

Motorola has recently released their "Network Application Interface" solution, to allow other developers to do the same thing. However, it works differently, and requires the 'NAI' option to be enabled in the affected repeater(s) at $750 list. For voice dispatch, that is all that's required, other than the developer(s) doing their magic & updating their packages to work with the new NAI. Unfortunately, this means the consoles will need to have AMBE capability, so you can be sure their IP offerings will be significantly more expensive than their control station counter parts.

For data applications, along with 'NAI' there is also the "NMIS"...MotoTRBO Network Interface Service...which is software that acts as gateway middleware to the radio system. It works in conjunction with the "DDMS"...Device Discovery and Mobility Service...which takes the place of their older "Presence Notifier" service. No idea on pricing for NMIS, if any.

Thanks

I can download NMIS and DDMS with a unified installer from the same place in MOL where I download the CPS. Need to enable NAI in the repeater for it to work so I guess that's how they get paid for it.

We've mainly sold the TRBONet Enterprise solution and it's worked well for our customers. Be prepared for a hefty price tag though. The direct IP connection requires AMBE capability in the console for it to work. Be aware that the console works as a virtual repeater and will count towards the 15 repeater limit of the IPSC.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,430 Times in 2,323 Posts

Thanks for the info, guys. Awesome. Number 6, are you paying attention?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. Awesome. Number 6, are you paying attention?
    Yes indeed, and many thanks to you Mars for starting this thread and to the members who have provided this information. I have visited the websites for SmartPTT, TrboNet, and also Wave Connect. These are excellent solutions for using a PC as an IPSC client / dispatch center. When taking into account the cost and configuration complexity of software solutions, I am inclined to conclude that using a repeater as a base station would be more versatile, cost effective, and easier to implement.

Thanks

No problem Number 6. FYI, the Wave Connect requires a gateway/base station combo, it's not direct IP...at least not until they get onboard the NAI bandwagon