Thread: QCII DTMF activated encoder

Thanks

Default QCII DTMF activated encoder

Hey folks

Looking for a device that I can wire into a FD's repeater, so that if they dial a particular DTMF code, it will encode their QCII sequence, looking for somthing off the shelf that I can easily wire into their Zetron Model 35 Interconnect & XPR8400 repeater

suggestions?

Thanks

Dial dtmf via a radio or telephone? If its telephone you can use a Zetron DAPT Jr.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

You misunderstand what i'm trying to accomplish

The department has a repeater, with a Zetron Model 35 telephone interconnect

When they get a call, the PSAP calls their phone patch, they answer it over the radio, and self dispatch their crews

Right now when they go to self dispatch their crews, they are encoding the QCII sequence from their portables, and the repeater repeats it, but sometimes it sounds ****ty when the person isnt close enough to the repeater

What I want to implement for them is a way of, instead encoding the QCII from their portables, is to simply transmit a DTMF code, that activates a QCII encoder wired into the repeater+controller, and my qustion is, does anyone know of an encoder that could be integrated in that will encode QCII when it decodes a DTMF sequence

They do not want to use a DAPT...

Thanks

That would be why I asked if they wanted to dial DTMF over the radio or telephone. Now that I know have more information, I don't know of a off the shelf device that could do that, but I would imagine you could connect a DTMF decoder to the repeater and use the output of that to fire a QC2 encoder if your not able to find a all in one box.

http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/np...09b/st809b.htm
    http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/np...04a/st804a.htm
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

I have no idea what kind of encoder we have on our tower site (it's owned by the county who has their own radio staff), but we can do exactly what you are asking. I'm about 75% sure it's a Zetron machine (at least it was a few years back) and the code would be three digits - maybe even a "speed dial" ... we do something like '1', wait for a dial tone, then key in a two-digit code which escapes me right now, and the tones drop.

Something a guy in another town is doing is he has a Kenwood TK-8180 (because his alerting is on UHF) back-to-back with another two-way, which may be another Kenwood but I'm not 100% sure. That radio is configured to listen on the alerting frequency for a two-digit DTMF sequence, and treat it as a "call alert". The Kenwood allows for a custom call alert noisemaker tone, and he's chosen 707.3 for 1 sec then 634.5 for 3 sec, or whatever his QCII tones are. This is played from the ext speaker jack on the "listening" radio into the input on the other radio. So the dispatch center (or anyone else, really) punches two DTMF keys, waits a few seconds, and then just starts speaking. This one probably only works if your alerting is on a different frequency than where the DTMF tones are sent, of course.

Thanks

Upon further reading, your model 35 has a dtmf controlled relay in it. You would just need to attach the two tone encoder to that output. You would have to dial a code to activate it, and then dial another code to reset it as it appears to be a toggle on/off relay as opposed to a momentary or programmable one.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

http://www.connectsystems.com/produc...%20PAGING.html

They had an option to an earlier product that did this inside of a phone patch they made, but this unit is much more flexible that the original unit.

Thanks

when I have done this I had to use a paging encoder and a separate DTMF decoder as the most cost effective way at the time.

Would look at ta more sophisticated controller like a zetron 45B or 48B ...you may be able to program a user on those and dial the number for the user and have it send out the codes.

The approach to take would depend on how many codes you need to send out ...if its just one or two I would just integrate a DTMF decoder or two and a paging encoder.

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

The Connect Systems unit does just that.