Thread: XTS5000 RF Board Swap (RF Band Change)

Thanks

Default XTS5000 RF Board Swap (RF Band Change)

I had an Astro Saber that I used to monitor an 800 system (using the hidden TG method), but after rebanding, I cannot seem to get it to work properly. I do have the XTS5000, which is worthless right now because the RF board (VHF) is toast, that I'd like to make work on the rebanded system.

Any pointers?

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

In Batdude's Guide to the XTS, available here:

www.akardam.net/moto/docs/mirrored/combined.pdf

Page 49 gives a matrix of different part numbers for the LCD and controller. A VHF to 800 MHz conversion would seem to depend on what you have have already, note the 'C02 LCD. Certainly the RF boards are available (seen on eBay for $80). Of course there are non trivial software, code plug, and tuning issues to deal with as well.

I've not tried this so can't offer any insight but I've wondered about a UHF to VHF. I figured that if you have a working radio on the wrong band it is probably easier to sell or swap as a way into a replacement but your case of salvaging an otherwise dead radio is different.
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Apr 27, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

I've got a service monitor and can use the codeplug out of an 800 radio that I have here. So just to be clear. Do I just use depot tool to blow in the codeplug of the 800 radio into the VHF radio after I put in an 800 RF board? Or do I use another software package? Right now I have nothing to lose other than the $80 for the 800 RF board, but I'd rather not spend the money if it's not going to work.

harrold No Longer Registered

I have swapped a few RF boards around on XTS5000's and bought them for $80 each. You have to give it a new codeplug with the correct band. I did not play around with any tuning settings, I think you should save your original tuning settings just in case you want to replace the board with the original.

I have been able to swap VHF and UHF rf boards. I bought a 800Mhz board and tried to swap that but the radio refused to change bands. It kept thinking that the board was still a UHF board. I would like to know if you get it going and I might try again.

Cheers

Harry

tem0099 No Longer Registered

With Xts5000 PA's the tuning values are stored on the PA Board in two srec's, unlike the Astro family radio that store the tuning values in the codeplug.

You can change bands just by installing the new PA & writing the same band codeplug to the vocon.

Simple as that with nothing else you need to do.

Thanks

What are you using to write the new CP to the radio? I tried using regular CPS and the CPS complains. I tried using depot 7 and it kills the radio. I can bring the radio back, but it is still not what I want.

Edit:
    Depot did not "kill" the radio. I forgot that I installed Astro25 Mobile on that computer, so Depot was complaining a lot. I finsihed reinstalling it clean and now am getting this error:

"The Radio Model Number Does Not Match
    Error Context: 2a, Status: c0001010"

So, the radio in question is a model II and I was trying to make it into a model III just for giggles. I guess that can't happen unless I do some hot-air rework or acquire another controller?
    Last edited by rescue161; May 08, 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks

Sorry to bring up an older topic, I am looking to do the same thing with a UHF XTS5000. I want to convert to a VHF and have access to a new RF Board. Am I correct this is all that needs to be change on the hardware side of things? Also, doesn't the RF board if complete also contain the PA board on it. I understand there is software changes that need to be made as well afterwords and tuning is a must.

Thanks!