Thread: MCS2000 with FAIL 1/82 code

Thanks

Default MCS2000 with FAIL 1/82 code

An aquaintance has a 900 MCS2000 type 1 that he's been using on 902/927 for a year. He bought the radio NOS last year & the only time it was programmed was the default freq's at the factory, so I was the 1st user to program the radio. It's been working fine, but when he tried to change mikes, he yanked on the cord, & now the screen displays FAIL 1/82, which translates to fatal external checksum error, bad external codeplug data, defective external eeprom. I still have his archive on my laptop from when I programmed it. If I write it to his radio could it bring it back to life, or is the radio junk? Sad, because the radio has maybe 2 hours of use on it. While the owner is a nice guy, he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic, & didn't realize to press the tab on the mike connecter before pulling it from the radio. GARY

Thanks

A little update. I just spoke to the owner of the radio. He didn't yank the mike cord, he just picked up the mike to talk. It went to fail 1/82, but then went back to the ch name. It did this a few times, but is now stuck on fail 1/82. I'm still going to write his archive back to the radio to see if this will fix it. GARY

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,008 Posts

Where is the antenna in relation to the radio? Not near it or on it by any chance?? I hope at least 20 feet away....

Try writing the codeplug MULTIPLE times, it can't hurt. Sometimes that is all it takes to recover a radio. Make sure the DB25 under the radio is properly inserted, and do the usual physical inspections.

Thanks

The radio is in a car. The antenna is on the rear deck lid. 5 feet away. Monday I'll try to save the radio. GARY

Thanks

Try looking for RF issues also. IF this guy has a bad mike or uses the thing with the mike cord stretched way out, I have seen MCS's exhibit odd problems with RF getting in via the mike.

Thanks

While I was able to successfully write the saved archive back to the radio, the display still shows fail 1/82. & sometimes unprogramed. When I try to read the radio my laptop shows "no user func provided to convert block type to block id for block type 50 unpack failed". But can anything from the radio be salvaged, like on a MTS2000 if someone toolproofs it, the rf board is still fine. Is the MCS a 1 board radio, or is there still a rf board that is OK? GARY

Thanks

Can you sub a different head and rewrite the radio? If the radio is operating, sounds like you might have a head or checksum error in the head/radio opcode section. The MCS is a uniboard.

Thanks

All my other 900 MCS's are type 3. The radio in question is a type 1. GARY