Thread: XTL 5000 shut off will not power on. bad CH?

fixanythingman72 No Longer Registered

Default XTL 5000 shut off will not power on. bad CH?

While driving today my XTL5000 suddenly powered off. It is uhf R2 remote mount with ignition sense connected properly. this is not a new installation and had been previously functioning beautifully.

first thing was to check all power connections, followed by checking for power with meter at radio and at head. all was good.

I took the radio inside and put a head from a spare radio directly on the radio, it powered up fine...
    next I took the head off of the chib and tried it directly on the radio, that did not work.
    I wanted to double check the head that didn't work so I put it on my spare radio, it still did not work.

It seems that the bad head must have damaged the radios because the end result is that no head will power on either of the radios. to triple check I tried a xtl1500 head I had floating around. I assume that it will at least power up a radio.

I also have tried powering up both radios with the ignition cable. I cant hear a start up beep so I am assuming the radio is not powering up.

I am thinking I must have blown a fuse. Can anyone point me in the right direction where to begin trouble shooting?

Thanks!

harrold No Longer Registered

I had this same problem, I checked the service manual and found that there is a fuse on the motherboard just back from the CHIB connector. I found this to be blown and I jumpered this, turned the radio on, and it is ok.
    The problem I have now, is why did it blow.

It is 5amp FL0400 This is on the UHF radio and you can just see it when you take the head off.

Cheers

Harry

fixanythingman72 No Longer Registered

Harry,

I thought I had posted an update. I also got my radio back up and running, same problem as you, I had to replace the fuse on the chib and on the radio itself. If you need the fuse part number I can look up what I ordered. I also got a new head and still haven't figured out what is wrong with the old one. If you figure out what is going on whit yours please let me know!

harrold No Longer Registered

Hi fixanythingman72,

I think my one open circuited because the red ignition wire came into contact with ground. Have disconnected the red wire and see if it shorts out again. It was just a quick install, for a few days only, in a replacement car.

Cheers

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by fixanythingman72 View Post
    Harry,

I thought I had posted an update. I also got my radio back up and running, same problem as you, I had to replace the fuse on the chib and on the radio itself. If you need the fuse part number I can look up what I ordered. I also got a new head and still haven't figured out what is wrong with the old one. If you figure out what is going on whit yours please let me know!

Thanks

Just as FYI... I had 7 or 8 XTL2500's in my fleet do this. As all were still under warranty, they went back to the Depot. All but 1 were blown fuses in the control head. The lone other unit the Depot replaced the whole control head. Probably because the tech didn't want to troubleshoot and just shotgunned it. Never could find a definitive reason why this happened. Radios are installed in fleet vehicles with high current leads direct to the battery distribution and the ignition sense to a switched point in the fuse panel. Radios are programmed for ignition sense to "required". These are 7-800 Mhz dash mounts BTW.