Thread: Explanation of error codes - e.g. FAIL XX/YY

Thanks

Default Explanation of error codes - e.g. FAIL XX/YY

I haven't seen information about the FAIL XX/YY codes articulated "the way I like it" anywhere.

For those who don't know, XX is the address (including group) of the device reporting the fault. YY is a BIT MAPPED FIELD which can report a number of various faults.

The three highest bits (80, 40, 20) of the XX are the group. Generally groups 0-2 are seen. Group 1 will add 20 to the address, Group 2 will add 40, Group 3 (rare) will add 60, etc.

The lowest five bits (00 - 1F) are the individual address. Important addresses are:
    01 Radio
    02 DSP
    05 Front Head
    06 Rear Head
    09 Cryptography
    Other addresses exist but they are not often seen because of modernization and integration (for instance, signalling is not on an option board anymore in modern radios.)

The bit meanings of YY are as follows:
    80 = Condition results in fatal error
    40 = Keypad is locked (control head function)
    20 = Serial bus (BUS+ BUS- BUSY) error
    10 = HARDWARE FAIL (any case)
    08 = RAM FAIL (typically tested by aa/55 writes)
    04 = EEPROM BLANK
    02 = EEPROM FAIL CHECKSUM
    01 = ROM FAIL CHECKSUM

Different radios/product lines may perform different types of tests to pass/fail each of these.

So, FAIL 01/90 is group 0 radio (single radio system), fatal condition, unspecified hardware error.
    Last edited by MattSR; May 01, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Clarify thread title...

Thanks

Excellent post, I'd been pondering the specifics of these for ages!

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

So, what is a FAIL 31/82?

I have seen two different radios do that.

Thanks

Address 31 = 20 (group 1) + 11 (defined as 'Trunking Options'). Since 31 instead of 11 showed, they may have been part of a multiple radio setup.

Since 82 is codeplug checksum probably the first thing to do is verify the programming of everything in the radio system (the radios and all their options.)

Despite the fact that the trunking controller is no longer external to the radio (like it was on the Syntor X9000) addresses 10 and 11 still appear while newer radios are in operation, but I have only seen them on the bus during trunking ops or RF modem dump. These addresses are still valid, but after the modernization and integration of the 90's they may refer to "software applications" instead of individual pieces of hardware.

Even if an external option board does not have its own codeplug eeprom, some radios have codeplug space that is read and used by external options (Syntor X9000 DTMF and MDC for instance.) So, an external option reporting a codeplug error might be fixed in some cases by codeplug reprogramming or codeplug adjustment.