Thread: Anyone have XPR 7550 UHF R1 (Q-split) Experiences?

apco25guy No Longer Registered

Default Anyone have XPR 7550 UHF R1 (Q-split) Experiences?

I've ordered up an XPR 7550 and I'm curious to get some feedback on this portable from those of you who have used it.

How do you like it? Is the performance what you expected?, etc....

Any feedback is appreciated.

Jonathan

Thanks

My friend has one, & likes it. The only thing he doesn't like is the fact that it doesn't have the common SMA antenna connecter. So if you need to connect the radio to an external antenna, it's not gonna happen. There is an official cable to do this, but it's hundreds of dollars, & not recommended, as it attaches elsewhere to the main board, which could fail from stress. Otherwise, it's a great radio. GARY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 464 Posts

I have one of the units and find that it works exellent. I have used it on conventional simplex (analog and digitial), conventional repeater and connect plus repeaters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    I have one of the units and find that it works exellent. I have used it on conventional simplex (analog and digitial), conventional repeater and connect plus repeaters.
    ditto......

Excellent... Glad to hear its not the dud of the trbo product line. I know what one M sales person told me the reason was, but I'm STILL irritated that the TRBO protocols and such can't be added to the APX or XTS series... Just made it another mode... ANALOG, DIGITAL (P25) or TRBO.. Sure would make things easier all around...

A guy can dream can't he?

Thanks

The saddest part of the whole thing is, there is no reason the APX cannot do Trbo other than Motorola doesn't want it to. Same processor, larger flash memory, and its already does a 12kbps tdma format. No technical reason it could not do Trbo, last lie I heard was they are running out of memory. I call BS on this as I've studied the DSM for the APX and it is quite capable of using the MicroSD slot that is on it. And I think it would be possible for the Astro25 line of hardware to do phase 2 or Trbo if they wished it. Or make the Trbo's do P25, again this is all about what they choose to do.

Please note this is all MY OPINION based on what I know about the hardware.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

I hear you Magnus... The sales guy I spoke to in a frank and open conversation about it recently said (i'll try to get the gist quickly) that M doesn't want to distort the P25 line. They don't want to sell these small municipalities TRBO systems and put APX hardware on them and that they would rather keep the P25 gear for 'larger' infrastructure. I argued until I was blue in the face and still couldn't get him to tell me a straight story.

I truly think they would rather sell more hardware rather than one radio with a 'flash' enabling the portable to do the other mode. Either way its inconvenient as heck.. and that's me trying to sensor myself.

Thanks

I have heard similar, basically it won't happen unless enough $$ depends on it.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Just out of curiosity from a non-TRBO user, what does it use on the antenna if not SMA?

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

Love the size, weight and build quality of my 7550. Shot some size comparison photos with an XTS, APX and the XPR. Also compared the SMA, XPR antenna and a regular old MX antenna.

8706933253_ac05be5c61_h.jpg
    8706933865_413f81d05b_h.jpg
    8706934555_5b35671cd8_h.jpg

8708054762_e29ba6bd25_h.jpg
    8708055382_934207a32e_h.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 2,395 Posts

As Magnus has stated, there's no reason why the APX line can't do DMR. The CPUs are the same; the hardware is the same -- if not very similar and even the voice codec (DSP flash memory space) is the same -- AMBE+2.

The air-interfaces are slightly different: DMR is 9600bps (4800bps per slot: 2450bps voice codec, 1150bps FEC, 1200bps embedded data).

P25P2 is 12000bps (6000bps per slot: 2450bps voice codec, 1150bps FEC, 2400bps embedded data).

DMR uses C4FM on both the subscriber and infrastructure as the air interface, whereas P25P2 uses H-CPM (subs) and H-DQPSK (infrastructure). Both subs transmit using a TDMA scheme with 30ms bursts.

There are differences at the air-interface level, but as these are software-defined transceivers, it's just a matter of coding. The question is whether or not the APX radios have enough existing host/DSP space to accommodate a fourth air-interface. Keep in mind the APX would have to support analog, P25 Phase I, P25 Phase II and DMR. Whereas the DMR radios only need to support analog/DMR. So yes, there are memory limitations. As long as there's enough program/DSP RAM, there is the option of expanding the APX's non-volatile memory via the expansion slot.

I doubt we'll ever see DMR on the APX -- heck, they can't even code QCII into it. Morons. But the 7550 is a very nice radio. It has its limitations (programming) -- such as single RID, the inability to use a mixture of Basic/Enhanced privacy keys, etc -- but hopefully they're addressed in future software/firmware updates. This month is the 7550's first birthday.

Finally, check out the APX2000/4000 and XPR7550. Hmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 464 Posts

One thing that Moto should fix on the APX line is the ability to have multiple key lists. I have a customer that accessses numerous encrypted services. Several of the services all use KID 00001 but with different keys since they are different services. This could be fixed on the APX by making a key list similar to the scan list, then all that needs to be done is to select list 1 for one service and list 2 for the next. This would also be very usefull on the ASTRO25 line.

I agree 100%.

Any chance of getting FPP onthe 7550?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

It has an internal option board, all someone has to do is write an app for it, just like SJI does for LTR/passport. Someone did that for the 6550. I wouldn't imagine it would be that difficult.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 2,395 Posts

FPP for XPR7550 is available.

http://www.bpg.it/en/index.php?section=trboplus

I spoke with the company, and they confirmed the option board to order is the KBPOB20xx.

---

Here is a response from the compnay:

Thank you for your interest in our products.
    Our application it's based on a dedicated option board and not on standard Generic Motorola Option Board.
    But obviously our OB it's certified for Motorola radios and it's working also on XPR american product beacuase exactly the same as the European version.
    We already sold our OB on american radios.
    The delivery includes option board with TRBOplus LABS 2 software already uploaded.

TRBOPlus is an option board designed specifically for Motorola MotoTRBO radios, portable or mobile, with the aim of extending the standard radio functions.

TRBOPlus LABS2 add these new functionalities to MotoTRBO radios :
    RSSI measurement in dBm in analog and digital channels
    RSSI Logger function
    VFO: allows to modify channel parameters temporarily (digital and analog) using the radio keypad instead of having to use the CPS Software (only for tech department)
    GPS info on radio display
    OTA Monitor: allows to trace over the air DMR traffic in the channel
    Audio Monitor: allows to listen all digital calls in the channel
    5 tone signalling

Attached you can find some datasheet and presentations.

You can install the option boards on both portable or mobile radio. For mobile radio you need to order the Motorola P/N HLN7001A flex cable.

Together with the option board will be provided :
    - TRBOplus CPS programming software
    - GPSLogger software to download tracks and measures (GPX or KMZ format)

Prices:
    P/N KBPOB1021A TRBOPlus LABS 2 for Mototrbo DP36xx each Euro € 220,00
    P/N KBPOB2021A TRBOPlus LABS 2 for Mototrbo DP48xx each Euro € 220,00
    P/N KBPOB1021A TRBOPlus LABS 2 for Mototrbo DP36xx >5 pcs. Discount of 20%
    The first Order for test pourpose we will apply 20% discount.

Excluding shipping, TAX and local customs duty.

Here you can find some videos of the option boards:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bpgradiocomunicazion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY2zX...Q3lSZ_g9BdLHXO

We are also available on developing custom applications based on customers requirements.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 679 Posts

Interesting. There was a company selling an FPP option board for XPR6550s about a year ago and Motorola made them take it off the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYJm5c_r30&noredirect=1