Thread: XTS5000 usb issue on win7

Thanks

Default XTS5000 usb issue on win7

So I finally got to spend some of my budget money on wish list items. I bought myself a new laptop for work Toughbook CF-31, usb xts 5k cable and a bunch of other items. Well the new laptop came with win7 on it and I never played with 7 until now. Got on MOL and downloaded the latest and greatest CPS and hooked up the new usb cable. Now I can't get the radio to read. Looked in the device manager and seen the radio as a modem. I uninstalled the driver. Followed the CPS instructions reinstalled the driver. Still comes back as a modem, so I do some reading and find out this is what its supposed to do. I go into the device manager and advanced settings and find that win 7 had assigned it com 8. I go into the cps and try running as usb, nothing. I then try to select com 8 in the drop down. Com 8 isn't even an option according to the cps. Now I am stuck. I still have the rs-232 cable to use in the mean time but I would like to be able to use the usb. Does I know I can't be the only one to have had issues with win 7 and the usb cable. How do I fix this so I can move on to the next set of issues that I am sure will pop up.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with CPS, USB cable and XTS5000 no problem.

Have you tried going into the directory where CPS is installed (C:\program files x86\Motorola\ASTRO25 Products\ASTRO25 Portable CPS\, then looking for "PatPort.exe", then right-clicking on it, going to properties, then compatibility, and tried running it as Windows XP SP3?

Stupid question, but have you rebooted your computer since installing CPS?

Have you tried another ASTRO25 portable to see if it works? I've seen radios with a certain chip that's fried (static zap) and USB will not work, but Serial will.

Does your XTS5000 read/write with USB cable on any other computer?

Btw, welcome to the site. Glad to have you here!

Thanks

thanks for the welcome!

I have rebooted several times. I just tried the XP SP 3 and still no luck. I haven't tried another astro25 radio yet that will have to wait until I get home to try mine instead of the radio I issued myself here at work. However the cps is acting as if it's not even seing the "modem" the computer has created. The cable does work on my old laptop running XP.

Under the drop down in the cps should it still be set to usb even though the pc has assigned it com 8? I have tried to go in and give it a new com number but the cps still doesn't see the new assigned number when I do that.

I know it's a whole different animal but my APX cps and cable have no issues at all on the same laptop.

Thanks

Try this in ASTRO25 Portable CPS:

View --> Options. Click on "Main" tab.

"Port Selection". Select USB.

Now click OK and get out of there. Try reading now. Does it work? This may be your issue.

Thanks

yeah thats where I've been.

Open Radio Failed
    Error Context: 24, Status:c0000344

thats what i have been getting all night

Thanks

Almost as if something is hogging the USB resource. Do you have any other programs running on that computer? Even ones you may not be aware of?

Click the Windows Start button (lower left corner of your desktop) and in the command line, type in "MSCONFIG". Hit Enter.

A dialog box will pop up. Click on the "Startup" tab. Do you see anything funky in there? If yes, uncheck whatever it is. Click "Apply" then "OK". Reboot your computer.

---

- Cable works on another computer?
    - Radio/Cable combination confirmed working?
    - Clean contacts on side of XTS5000 with pencil eraser (trust me; this works)
    - Reposition programming cable connector. I've had to do this before. (take it off, put it back on)
    - Have a beer

Thanks

Cable does work on another computer. I was able to use the same cable on 4 different XTS5000's when I got home. Contacts are all clean.

Called mother M and talked to tech support. Ran through a series of questions, still not working. Since it's a new computer and the only thing it has is this CPS and APX on it, I set the computer back to factory with a save image. Reloaded CPS installed the cable driver. Hit read and still get the same error. So now i'm thinking the conflict is the pc rather than the cps. This laptop has the Gobi WLAN card. I guess I will try uninstal that and see if maybe that modem is not working with the xts5000 modem. At this point though I am ony guessing.

Oh and I got the beer thing covered

Thanks

Got it working. The Gobi 2000 WLAN card was the issue after all. I uninstalled the driver and the 5K cable works great now. Only thing I can think of is the Gobi took a primary modem role and blocked the 5K cable from communicating. I will try installing the Gobi later and see if they still both work now that the xtscable has been installed as a modem.

Thanks

Glad you got it working!

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I have to say what a great site this is!

Couldn't read any ASTRO25 radios at all with a new Panasonic CF-53. APX and TRBO CPS had no problems at all.

Googled the error message and this thread on p25.ca was the first hit.

Searched my Device Drivers and sure enough, I had a Gobi modem listed. Uninstalled it and finally heard the beep of success when I tried to read my xts4000.

Finally up and running. Would have never thought to uninstall the Gobi.

Thanks to everyone!
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 722 Posts

Congratulations! You are now a Motorola Certified Product Compatibility Tester! (Go buy your own coffee at Starbucks, however!)

Thanks

Just curious, when you say "primary modem" are you referring to an IRQ conflict? Glad you got it working. I personally use an FTDI adapter with a serial prog cable which works flawlessly. Currently using Windows 8.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

My laptop has a real serial port but my programming cable is an OEM USB cable.

Not sure why the Gobi was interfering. I don't believe it was an IRQ conflict but more likely the Gobi was intercepting any calls to the radio which resulted in the CPS error.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Had the same problem with a CF-31 my department gave me to use late last year. I spent over an hour on the phone with Mot software support when it was discovered that the radio and the Gobi card were both recognized as a modem. The tech felt that since there were no error messages that it was not a port conflict issue but a resource sharing issue instead. The solution was to remove the drivers for the Gobi card but I didn't want to hop back and forth installing and deleting drivers just to program a radio since the computer was also used on a mobile data system so the Gobi card needed to be active. I opted instead to switch to a CF-30 without a Gobi card and I have no issues programming now.