Thread: Astro W5 and W7 power up circuit error?

Thanks

Default Astro W5 and W7 power up circuit error?

Hi there,

I have obtained a few faulty W5 and W7 control heads from E-bay in the last few days. All of them were told to be faulty (some of them are totally dead, some of them has broken VFD display behind the faceplate and some of them are phisically broken). Most of the heads are in mild or good shape so I decided to take them apart and try to repair them.

When I took them apart, I have noticed that all of the caps are leaking and they made severe damage on the circuit board. On some heads, the traces just disappeared or damaged heavily. I was lucky because I've found 2 of the heads with small damage. I was able to repair the broken traces near the caps and I have removed the leaky capacitors. The caps were replaced by new electrolyte ones. I have cleared the boards with 99% isoprophyl alcohol to remove the remaining cap oil leaks.

After that I have put the heads (after one by one) onto a known working W5 radio of mine. And guess what?! I could start the radiom the heads powered up, the SELF-CHK process was completed without errors and the radio worked fine. I could select channels, zones, modify the dim level of the display, I could change the power level etc. etc.

The heads are working fine, except one reaaaaaaallyyyy annoying thing: I can not power off the radio with the control head's power button. I can turn it on but I can't turn it off. The only way to turn off the radio: turn off the power supply or pull the radio off the power supply.

I have took a deep look into the control head's schematic but I don't have any idea what yould cause this error.

Can you please help?

p.s.: please forgive my english, as it is not my primary language

Thanks

Check the jumper configuration. A good write-up can be found here: http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...n-jumpers.html

Thanks

It seems that JU7 can cause come trouble with the ON/OFF button. I will take the control head apart again when I get home from work and will take a look at JU7.

I hope when I remove JU7 (if present) will solve my problems.

But the article on repeater-builder says: the radio set (with JU7 installed) should power on by "itself" without having to press the PWR button. But in my case I HAVE TO press the PWR button to turn the radio on. It just won't turn off.

Thanks

Finally I got home. I have took the control head apart and JU7 is NOT installed. But I can not turn it off with the PWR button.