Thread: EFJ5100 Heat

Thanks

Default EFJ5100 Heat

Does anyone else with an EFJ 5100 have a problem where the radio will get warm when just receiving?

Thanks

I have two of the 900mhz 5100's, one does this and one is normal. They are programmed identically. The heat appears to come from the upper half of the radio.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

In my case it seems to be coming from the lower-mid section of the radio. Its not scorching hot but, the aluminum chassis under the battery is warm to the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I have two of the 900mhz 5100's, one does this and one is normal. They are programmed identically. The heat appears to come from the upper half of the radio.
    I'm just concerned if used heavily like this it could cause the radio to fail have you had any issues with the one that gets warm?

Thanks

Short battery life! But other than that its been ok. Its definitely broken, just haven't had time to see why. I was hoping a EFJ tech would stop by and just tell us the answer as I'm sure this is a common problem.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

I noticed that myself. I got a OEM EF Johnson 4400mah Li-Ion battery on this and usually I start using the portable at 8AMish in the morning and the battery will last till about 11PM-12AMish at night. I do hope myself that we can get an EFJ tech to explain the problem a bit. I would expect this battery to run at least 24 hours and it ends up runnin' 16ish hours with light to moderate Tx and Scan on full time.

Thanks

So after a tad bit of research I found a forum post on a separate forum that seems to point to the LNA device (which appears to be an MGA-71543) on the RF board as a possible source to this problem. The only thing is the heat is also associated with poor to no Rx sensitivity at all.

On your 900 thats having the issue does it have any problems with Rx? For the most part my radio seems to have no problems with Rx at all.

Thanks

My rx is fine.

danb1021 No Longer Registered

i had the same problem efj 51sl worked fine. then all of a sudden it would start heating up.after a few days of this i lost all receive on the radio.transmit was fine.this was a UHF

sloosecannon No Longer Registered

I had one that would overheat that wouldn't transmit at all and wouldn't recieve P25. needless to say, I got that one replaced

Sent from my XT907 on CM10.1 using Tapatalk 4 beta

salonorg No Longer Registered

there is a IC on the rf deck that does out pauls two way radio repair in MN can fix them .

northstarfire0693 No Longer Registered

We had a bunch of 5100 do the same at the FD. The EFJ rep said it was no big deal at first, but then we started having problems with the radios going out.