Thread: T3011BX interesting question for you guys

saberthree No Longer Registered

Default T3011BX interesting question for you guys

Hey guys, I have a T3011BX I bought a long time ago from a govie auction...I was wondering, do you think it would be more valuable and sought after if it had special markings on it? The one I have has USSS XXXXX (United States Secret Service) then of course the original manufactures tag. Im considering doing a trade for a XTS-4000 UHF, but if I can get alot more, Id probably just use the cash to buy the radio I want and the rest in the piggy bank. Any thoughts?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody willing to swap an xts4000 for that even with USSS markings.
    I think most would consider a kvl3000 as a decent swap.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

I understand where your coming from, but some people like a little nostalgia, plus the history behind it. Granted its probably never been around the president since it didnt even have the clearance level to be used around him. I had a guy already offer a trade for his XTS. I didnt want to let the unit go, but I would like to have something I can use every day!

I had a guy that was willing to trade for it, Im still debating if I really want to trade it or keep it for nostalgic reasons. I used to be a govie guy and used cryptos on a daily basis, it was fun and cool that no one could listen to you, But me being on a civilian side I dont really have a reason to use it anymore....if I had a KVL 3000 though, thats a different story lol

Thanks

The BX revision is quite old. You can't even keyload modern radios with it. Holding on to some old relic with no functionality is pointless. Do you know the history of the KVL, other then it came from The Secret Service? Was it used to keyload the radios used during the Reagan assassination attempt?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

From what I can gather, I asked a buddy about it while I was still active duty and he was doing USSS. I was looking for something that would work for my guys and me, without having to use Harris or Thales since at the time they were always on back order and as usual a very limited amount could be issued per platoon. I was in the Scout platoon, we didnt need too much fancy stuff, just squad level stuff we can communicate with, if we needed to do a CAS mission, we had the manpack linked to satcom so it was convenient without the hassle of signing for stuff, plus it was nice to take stuff home that you used overseas, everything else you had to turn in and say bye to. Anyway, when he sold it to me through a private govie auction, he mentioned that the series it was under, it was used in the east coast for operations pertaining to money laundrying, but thats as deep as it went. to my understanding DES was basically just for confidential stuff, nothing fancy like TYPE I or NSA SUITE A.

As far as holding onto some old relic with no functionality is pointless, I can understand where your coming from, but some guys like myself like the old stuff. thought I wouldnt mind having a KVL-4000 though!!! just cant justify spending that kind of money, especially if I am no longer doing mil related stuff anymore. Its nice to have using it at work though, Basically using my old sabers and encrypting it with them ( sabers/astro sabers will always have a place in my heart)

It would be nice to have a XTS4000, i live in stockton now, and wanted something P25 and discreet...walking around with an Astro Saber can bring up alot of negative attention!!! unfortunately (could be good or bad) alot of people recognize me in town, every single time I run errands or food shopping! (Im the chief range master and the marksman/ccw instructor at the only gun range in the area) anyway, I can understand where your coming from, this is my second day on this website, and Im a total newbie when it comes to commercial radio equipment! Im really starting to dig this site though, alot of interesting info!!!!!

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

If you're looking to upgrade to a newer kvl, take a look at the kvl3000.

It can usually be found for under $500.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Lots of people bought WHCC Sabers that were used on Pennsylvania Ave, & they went for the same price as a regular Saber. It would be worth more if it had the "DX" upgrade. GARY

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 739 Posts

I saw the pictures on another FS/FT thread, and I see there is an Astro Hologram sticker on the back - the unit may have been already upgraded to a DX if it supports Astro radios. If you can find out what the ROM says on it that would be the best way to determine if it's been upgraded, I think you can also tell by the menu selections, I believe if it has "ASN" functions in it, it has to be Rev C or D.

Realistically, the Uncle Sam's Stinky Sneakers engraving increases the value of the unit from stock by about $50-100 depending on the collector.

Yeah, I been figuring it out slowly about the values of these radios and keyloaders. Just waiting to find someone willing to part with their xts4000, seems really hard to find!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saberthree View Post
    Yeah, I been figuring it out slowly about the values of these radios and keyloaders. Just waiting to find someone willing to part with their xts4000, seems really hard to find!
    Mars offered to sell you his, but he isn't going to give it away. Your offer of a T3011BX in exchange for an XTS4000 is frankly insulting. Your T3011BX can't even keyload an XTS4000. It is good for securenet only. They are out there, but you have to pay to play.

Yeah Mars offered to sell it to me, but he didnt respond until 1 AM today.........I am aware that it cannot keyload an XTS4000 let alone any XTS series, but thats something that I as a new person to civilian crypto is finding out through reading. I'm more familiar with the military cryptos and keyloaders such as the ancd and all that. of course he wouldnt give something like that away, which was why I asked him if he wanted cash instead its not a big deal. take it easy bud, Im new to this stuff......its just like coming to my shooting range, believe me I wouldnt bust your balls if you were a new guy, in fact I'd come by talk to you and make sure you were comfortable before you shoot. I couldnt tell you how many new people coming in with brand new guns, that ask me how to disassemble them, cleaning and basic marksmanship, its sad that they spend all that kind of money for a toy they can hardly use but they learn eventually at their own pace
    Last edited by saberthree; May 13, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,796 Times in 2,413 Posts

Please continue the Guns & Ammo discussion in this new thread.