Thread: Communication error during upload

sloosecannon No Longer Registered

Default Communication error during upload

So, new problem...

Got a version 1 5100 VHF - F/W version 1.20.1...

It won't read to PCC. Just says "Communication error during upload"

Tested cable on another 5100, worked fine. Tried on another computer, same result. Seems like it's the radio. Is there anything to do or am I hosed? Somebody obviously got it to program because it's blanked out right now... nothing on it at all.

Thanks

Did you try creating a new radio param file in PCC and write that to the radio?

Thanks

What version of PCC are you using? PCC version and radio firmware are cross dependent. IF the file formats don't match they won't communicate.

Thanks

From my experience, these are the things to check when a radio doesn't communicate:

- Com port and serial baud settings correct
    - Try re-seating the programming cable on the connector. Some of the ports are damaged or the plastic is flared such as to make proper contact difficult.
    - Open up the radio and try cleaning the ribbon cable with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip, then re-seat it. This is the foil covered one from the same side as the connector contacts.

Generally, when the file format etc. is not correct you'll get an error message which states "File format not supported" or some such on upload. Download generally works, but you'll get a "BAD FL FORMAT" or something on radio power up.

I'll provide some background for the situation.
    So, I'm programming this radio for a friend (got it off of the magical auction site). I got another one for a CAP buddy of mine and it programmed fine using PCC 2.10.2. Worth noting that using a previous version of PCC caused an exception in PCC. That was the one I talked about in the other thread about using P25 text messaging.

This one is not reading. I've plugged in a 51SL (mine) and it read fine. Used the old version (1.28.something) and it gave the same "communication error".

Quote Originally Posted by synegy3488 View Post
    Did you try creating a new radio param file in PCC and write that to the radio?
    Tried a known working codeplug on another identical radio. No joy - comm error during download

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    What version of PCC are you using? PCC version and radio firmware are cross dependent. IF the file formats don't match they won't communicate.
    This one did work on the other radio from the same seller, with the same firmware. Shouldn't be a problem. Also, the older version should've crashed if it read successfully, which it did not.

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    From my experience, these are the things to check when a radio doesn't communicate:

- Com port and serial baud settings correct
    - Try re-seating the programming cable on the connector. Some of the ports are damaged or the plastic is flared such as to make proper contact difficult.
    - Open up the radio and try cleaning the ribbon cable with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip, then re-seat it. This is the foil covered one from the same side as the connector contacts.

Generally, when the file format etc. is not correct you'll get an error message which states "File format not supported" or some such on upload. Download generally works, but you'll get a "BAD FL FORMAT" or something on radio power up.
    Would the COM port settings differ over firmware versions? I literally unplugged this one, successfully read from a SL, then plugged it back in and failed to read.

Tried reseating, but I can check again.

I'll try to clean the inside - this seems like the most likely case if not a wrecked firmware/insides of radio.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Got it working.
    I tried plugging it in to an actual serial port in an old computer and it worked. It would appear that the USB to serial adaptor wasn't working on this radio. Plugging it in to a serial port without the adaptor worked fine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD