Thread: XTS2500 FAIL 01/82

n0vzc No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 FAIL 01/82

Hello, Does this have to be fixed through the Depot software? I just got it a week ago and it programmed fine before then this time the CPS had a problem programming it and it came up with the FAIL 01/82 code.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 857 Posts

Does anybody RTFM anymore?

See page 58...

http://www.2wayradioparts.com/images/pdf/MT1500-XTS1500.pdf

I saw that before however when I tried reprogramming the radio it kept coming up with a error trying to program. After attempting to reprogram the radio about 10 times it finally took the program. I thought maybe their was something special that had to be done and other forums people were saying it had to be sent to Motorola.

It is working now.

Thanks,
    Mike

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

No problem. I didn't mean to sound so snippy.

The conventional wisdom with 01/82, which you discovered, is to keep writing the radio again and again until it stops complaining.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 739 Posts

Just out of curiosity, are you using a USB cable? If so, I have also had nothing but trouble with the latest 2-3 CPS releases. The USB driver has become a completely unstable random crap-shoot whether it will work or not, frequently taking 4-5 tries to read or write a radio. Serial RS-232 is flawless. I am getting pissed, I have a $250 cable I can't use because they can't write a god damned driver to save their lives. I have all but abandoned trying to use USB, it's such a POS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you using a USB cable? If so, I have also had nothing but trouble with the latest 2-3 CPS releases. The USB driver has become a completely unstable random crap-shoot whether it will work or not, frequently taking 4-5 tries to read or write a radio. Serial RS-232 is flawless. I am getting pissed, I have a $250 cable I can't use because they can't write a god damned driver to save their lives. I have all but abandoned trying to use USB, it's such a POS.
    that's been my experience. I sold my OEM cable and bought an OEM RS-232 cable instead. If I need to read/write to a radio on one of my machines that don't have a serial port, I just use my IOGEAR USB-RS232 adapter and have never had a problem. Written/read everything from 2003 vintage 4 MEG 2500's to R19.5 5000's and no problems. With the USB cable, it would constantly barf on the same radios.

WTF Motorola. It can't be THAT hard to write a damn driver that works for these now decade old radios!

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Forget the driver for a second. When the IOGEAR serial adapter works so well for $20, how the hell can Motorola price their USB cables at $250!?? I mean, this is 1000% markup!

I literally cannot understand what's happening here. I guess I could take my IOGEAR adapter and my serial programming cable, connect them, wrap the whole mess up in electrical tape and sell it for $250...

I use the RS232 cable with a usb to serial adapter. My big mistake was using windows 8. Even though the CPS software says it supports Windows 8, I think their are some bugs between the 2. I switched over to my Windows 7 x86 system and reprogrammed it. That was where it took 10 retries. None of my computers have serial ports on them. I may have to look at getting a IOGEAR adapter.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    Forget the driver for a second. When the IOGEAR serial adapter works so well for $20, how the hell can Motorola price their USB cables at $250!?? I mean, this is 1000% markup!

I literally cannot understand what's happening here. I guess I could take my IOGEAR adapter and my serial programming cable, connect them, wrap the whole mess up in electrical tape and sell it for $250...

It's not QUITE the same thing. It's much higher speed since it's native USB, I'd estimate about 4-5x or so.

Not really significant when you're doing codeplugs normally but flashing it really makes a BIG difference in speed. Takes about 2 mins instead of about 10. But it's so freakin unreliable I won't use it, especially for flashing where the probability of something going wrong is fairly high to begin with.

Big, heavy sigh...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,012 Posts

Has anyone had any reliability issues with USB 3 vs USB 2?? Since I have about a dozen XTLs to flash this week, I'm going to compare results.....

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I'm not even sure the radios are USB 2.0 compatible, I think they are legacy or 1.x, but I'm not positive. USB 3.0 would probably be overkill, but AFAIK it would be the same unreliable POS no matter whether 1, 2 or 3 is used. My experience is almost completely with the portables not the mobiles, so I can't comment on how stable the mobile USB driver is - I can only hope it's better than the portable one.

tophermoc No Longer Registered

Portable radios that are already showing 01/82 error:

Open a copy of the codeplug in CPS.
    Go to the Clone Radio screen, not the clone wizard or clone express screens.
    Click on the read radio serial number. Verify that the serial number is correct. If it is, proceed.
    Click on the Write icon on the tool bar. Do not use the File drop down menu and select Write Device.
    You should get a Hardware Part Failure error. Click Ok. Proceed with the write. This should correct 99% of your 01/82 portable errors.
    Last edited by Number 6; Jul 15, 2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Fixed color of text

Thanks

Not sure why, but tophermoc's text is showing up black on my computer (Firefox & IE). Just thought I'd throw it out there in case people just "scroll by"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 675 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p47r4ck View Post
    Not sure why, but tophermoc's text is showing up black on my computer (Firefox & IE). Just thought I'd throw it out there in case people just "scroll by"
    It happens when you use a text editor to compose your post, and then copy/paste into the post. You need to block the entire post and then change the color by selecting "automatic".
    Last edited by Number 6; Jul 15, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Don't forget you guys have vb Blue theme installed on the forum... which some of us use. "Automatic" would be the preferred color choice rather than white.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 675 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    Don't forget you guys have vb Blue theme installed on the forum... which some of us use. "Automatic" would be the preferred color choice rather than white.

Ok, fixed that problem. Thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by Number 6; Jul 15, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks

Ah ha, good to know. Usually if I'm going to type out something longer I'll throw it together in Word (slightly easier to see everything). After that, I put it into good ol' Notepad since that strips most of the formatting and gets it pretty close to just ASCII. Then I paste it into web page and post... hasn't burned me yet!