Thread: XTL5000 Fail 01/90 Maintenance mode remote device

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?
    Thanks

Default XTL5000 Fail 01/90 Maintenance mode remote device

So!

I have a XTL1500 that has been converted into a XTL5000 (by a board member here who is great)
    Unit has been working fine n dandy in the house. Decided to put it in the car today. Installed it all and power to it, turn the radio on and it takes longer to boot up. Then goes into FAIL 01/90. Then the radio shuts off and back on and the backlight comes on and it shows MAINTENANCE MODE Remote Device.
    The radio is a front mount unit. I can still hear stuff coming out of the speaker but cant change channels or adjust the volume at all. Any idea what the cause was? Radio was working 20 min before i took it into the car. Power source was the same i used for my XPR mobile radio so its a good source

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,028 Posts

Take the DB26 trapezoidal connector off the back, make sure all the pins are the same height on the male portion, and re-seat it securely, and re-power up the radio before you do anything else.

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Did a few time. I have no ignition wire programmed or anything. Didnt even take the connector off when i moved the radio. Other then unplugging the speaker from the connector and pulling the power wire off after i shut the radio down,

Thanks

Well, I would take it back in the house, and see if it works there. You didn't stick a screw through the frame or anything like that, did you? Best to back up and start over. Might be a flex issue.

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Did that aswell. Same issue now
    Didnt have any mounting screws in the radio yet. Was test fitting and had it sitting in the mounting bracket but no screws. Wanted to make sure there was no sun glare.

Strange how it was great in the house. Took it to the car and attached the antenna, speaker wire and power, sat it on my lap and pushed the power button and did this. Had it off n on a few times today and worked great. Now back in the house on the base power supply and nada

Thanks

Well, other than carefully taking the head off and checking the flex on the interface board, the best bet would be to get in touch with the person who modded it for you, if it has been recent, since you CAN'T send it to moto. I'd look for obvious physical stuff first. A FL01/90 is probably NOT going to be recoverable from your end. Your modder might have some suggestions.

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Since its saying Maintenance Mode. And then Remote Device. Does that mean it thinks its a remote mount and not a front mount?

Thanks

Does it stay at FL01/90 or does it stop at Maintenance Mode, Remote Device? Do you know what FW version is in it?

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Takes about 5 seconds or more to boot up. Gives the FAIL 01/90. Screen goes blank for a few. Backlight comes on then so does the maint mode and stays on. And i can hear whatever channel im on too.

FW is whatever the latest out is. Cant remember off the top of my head

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Ill pop it open and check the flex cable for the fun of it. Not sure how it would come loose when i didnt hold or pull the control head.

Thanks

That control head is unable to talk to the radio interface. If you had a remote head by itself and powered it up, it would do the same thing.

Try connecting a serial programming cable to the front and writing your codeplug to the radio.
    If that doesn't work, try doing it again.
    Do you know exactly which version FW you have running?

Thanks

If you have a firmware refresh dongle you can try a firmware refresh, or you can also try to put the control head in Flashzap mode and try refreshing the FW that way, sometimes that will resync things. Also try running the control head sync program. Control head sync should be run with a USB cable.

Thanks

Do you by chance have a REAR programming cable? You can get into the radio that way, also..

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Well! Seems the flex cable was about 2mm off the board on one side. Must of came loose during return shipping and the walk from the radio room down some stairs and into the car and moving it around in there must of caused it to pop the rest of the way JUST far enough off to cause the fail. All is fine n dandy working now.

Guess i know for next time

Thanks

OK, and now you have a whole list of other trouble shooting things to try if that isn't it for next time. Always check the physical stuff first.

Have fun!

Muxlow is offline Banned
    Thanks

Your assistance is appreciated good sir

Thanks

Any time! Have a great week!