Thread: XTS5000 - frequent reaffiliation

Thanks

bang XTS5000 - frequent reaffiliation

Hi!
    I'm a legit user of our local 9600 kbps P25 TRS. I was issued an XTS2500 that works fine. I often turn my radio on being relatively far away from the site (RSSI shows zero or 1 bar but I'm able to Tx and RX somehow)
    I've bought an XTS5000 (AN model, host ver. R19). I just cloned all the trunking settings that were in my XTS2500 to tht new 5K. But it affiliates way too much comparing to XTS2500. Once I noticed that it sent affiliation bursts every 1.5 minutes or so! Not only it drains the battery like hell but causes entering "NO COMMS" mode where XTS2500 would work great. I need to mention that most of the time I'm scanning TGs with Priority Monitor Scan.
    Does anybody know what can cause this problem? I feel like I've missed t
    something during Import procedure but again, everything looks identical to the XTS2500. Is it a firmware bug?
    Thanks in advance for your answers!

Thanks

I would check the alignment on it.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

I concur. It sounds like the freq is off (or RX sensitivity/squelch may be too low/high). This would cause the radio to not see the control channel and attempt to re-affiliate. When it fails this affiliation it goes into "NO COMMS" mode so that's a potential clue.

Thanks

I agree with the others, run the radio through an alignment and see where you're at.. Also, here is a little info on "No Comms"

Symptom:
    XTS5000 displays "NO COMMS" when on a trunking talkgroup
    Error "NO COMMS" on the display of XTS5000
    XTS5000 bonks when radio is keyed with the "NO COMMS" present on the display

Cause:
    The "NO COMMS" message indicates that the radio has imbalanced coverage

Fix:
    The radio is working as designed. There are 4 conditions in which the "NO COMMS" message will cease:

The radio receives a successful affiliation response from the system
    The radio enters Failsoft operation
    The radios detects "Out of Range"
    The radio detects Site Trunking

Note
    Imbalanced coverage means that the radio can receive from the control channel but can not connect to the system. The message will display when affiliation attempts has failed on all known sites
    The Imbalanced Coverage Indicator can be turned off in the Astro 25 Portable CPS:

Radio Configuration - Radio Wide - General - Imbalanced Coverage Indicator: No Indication

-Marc

Thanks

First, thanks to everyone for their replies.
    Unfortunately, now I'm even more confused.
    On one hand, the radio affiliates if it picks up the control channel badly. That's not always true with me BTW, sometimes the radio makes unnecessary bursts even with high readings on the RSSI.
    On another hand, when the radio is in the poor coverage area, affiliating ends up in NO COMMS popping up. That means the radio DOES hear the control channel but is unable to notify the system of it's presence.
    All this looks controversial to me.

However, the radio's firmware was updated. This means that the tuning values could have gone crazy unless the previous tuning codeplug was saved and loaded back after the update or the radiobwas realigned. But it's sensitivity on conventional channels seems quite normaly to me.
    I feel like some feature which makes the radio address to the TRS is on but what can it be? I've got to measure the intervals between the affilistion bursts and update the thread. Maybe kt dheds some more light on this situation.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

The ASTRO25 series has the tuning partition in a separate part of memory than the codeplug, so if you did the upgrade properly with an i-Button it should have updated and preserved the tuning values. If you did a dirty upgrade, then it didn't touch the tuning at all. This is unlike the older ASTRO series. There is still some controversy, but it is thought the tuning data is actually stored on the RF deck itself which makes a whole lot of sense, the values would go with the board in a swap-out. The memory is mapped into the processor's regular memory map, so the TUNE partition appears to be part of the linear memory of the CPU. Anyway, the upshot of this is if it was off frequency or mis-tuned before, it probably still is.

The RX has no tuning on 800 MHz, so it is what it is, the only tuning parameter that will affect RX would be frequency. Based on the new info you have given, it still sounds like a tuning issue - but maybe not frequency. Since the RX seems to be OK, that parameter (freq) is also probably OK. However, if the Mod Compensation or Dev Level sets aren't right, it will cause the digital waveforms to be distorted and error-prone. This makes more sense, the system can't understand your affiliation attempts very well causing "NO COMMS", but since the radio hears the control channel it's not going to outright "OUT OF RANGE" condition.

Anyway, any further guesswork is just mental masturbation until you get the thing on a service monitor and confirm or fix ALL the tuning values.

@Mfire39 - Thanks! I always wondered what that meant exactly, I was expecting some sort of icon to pop onscreen or something, I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,458 Times in 2,330 Posts

Check the Trunking/Trunking Configuration/RSSI Thresholds SmartZone RSSI values and Filter Constants.

Thanks

Is this a simulcast system?

Thanks

2 Alpha: It appears, that Astro25 portables' tuning config is vulnerable to proper I-button upgrade. At least two of my radios were rendered useless this way - they all Rx-ed and Tx-ed OK before the upgrade, but I forgot to save the tuning config before the upgrade and now they do rest on the bottom of the drawer waiting for an experienced guy with a good service monitor (it's not easy to find one in Russia ) However, dirthy-method upgrade doesn't seem to interfere with the tuning values and it is confirmed by three of my radios.

2 Mars: All these values are factory defaults which are OK for XTS2500. However, I've found that the "non-ajacent site search" flags were turned on. Now they are disabled, waiting to test the radio in the evening.

Thanks

2 KevinC - it's not a simulcast system, frequency band - UHF

Thanks

Hi, just wanted to update the thread.
    Having looked through the codeplug I noticed that "non-ajacent site search" flags are on in every trunking system I have in my radio. I de-checked all these boxes and... it worked! The radio doesn't try to send unnecessary affiliation bursts that often anymore nor does it loose connection to the known-good sites as often as it did before.
    I looked through the codeplug of my work radio and found that no "non-ajacent site search" boxes were checked there. I don't know why I did enable them when programming my radio... Thought it would be easier for the radio to catch up on the CC but it appeared just on the contrary.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for suggestions and do not make the same mistake!

Thanks

Sounds to me like you need to update your radios control channel list. The non-adjacent site search check box, when checked, basically ignores the adjacent site frequencies broadcast-ed on the current control channel OSW (Outbound Signal Word). Basically the adjacent site broadcast tells the radio what sites are within range of its current tower that the radio is currently affiliated to. The radio samples the RSSI of the current and adjacent CC's (Control Channels) and will affiliate to whichever CC is stronger. Of course it also depends on your radio ID and/or talkgroup ID being allowed at a site, and if your trunking personality has any Site Preference specified. But you get the idea of how it works.
    iNUM: 883510009903325