Thread: Motorola Antenna on EFJ

Thanks

Default Motorola Antenna on EFJ

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before or not, but given that EFJ 5100's use a standard SMA connector and not a Motorola style SMA, will the Motorola antennas fit on an EFJ?

I'm just concerned about the antenna not making complete contact and leaving an open that can cause SWR problems leading to RF deck failure.

Thanks

When I had my 51SL the Motorola antennas fit fine.. The EFJ antenna didn't play well with my XTS though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    When I had my 51SL the Motorola antennas fit fine.. The EFJ antenna didn't play well with my XTS though
    I'm *pretty* sure that the /\/\ would work I just wanted a 2nd opinion. I figured the EFJ antenna wouldn't work on the XTS, because it has a standard normal recessed female connector while the /\/\ uses non-standard flush female SMA.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 738 Posts

Moto antennas on EFJ radios are OK, the other way round doesn't quite seat fully. It's not just the depth of the flush/recessed SMA's, it's more the physical "skirt" of weather-proof rubber that keeps the antenna from fully seating.

Thanks

Skirts on EFJ antenna are longer than moto skirts. I use moto antennas on my EFJ and there is a slight gap between the the skirt and the connector, but the performance is better with a moto stubby than with an EFJ whip..
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustymedic View Post
    Skirts on EFJ antenna are longer than moto skirts. I use moto antennas on my EFJ and there is a slight gap between the the skirt and the connector, but the performance is better with a moto stubby than with an EFJ whip..
    I got a /\/\ TRBO style UHF-1 (only no GPS in this antenna) on there now, and it screws all the way down tight and has no gap. I did try my /\/\ UHF stubby and there was a very very slight gap, which I fully assume is a) because the skirt on the antenna is shorter and b) because /\/\ antennas use the flush-style SMA.

I believe the model on the TRBO antenna is PMAE4022. Black color code.

sloosecannon No Longer Registered

VHF moto antenna is fine. In CAP, half the EFJs we have had moto antennas, so they work great.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

syntrx No Longer Registered

It's not so much the skirt, the connector is actually different.

The real EFJ antenna connector is like a genuine female SMA, where the dielectic is recessed slightly within the outer conductor (like on the connector shown below.) The Motorola "SMA", on the other hand, is not recessed. The end of the dielectric is flush with the edge of the outer conductor.

If you look at the connector on an EFJ radio, you'll see that the centre section of the connector is raised slightly, to fill the gap left on the EFJ style SMA.

That said, the Motorola connector won't short out an EFJ radio, it just won't look right and it'll be more prone to coming loose, as you won't benefit from the friction provided by the skirt in holding the antenna in place. If you must use a Motorola antenna, the TRBO 1.x antennas tend to fit best as they have a longer skirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by syntrx; May 24, 2013 at 01:23 PM.