Thread: What do I need?

Thanks

Default What do I need?

I have several radios that are giving me issues. I believe that they just need to be aligned etc. I have called seems like a million people here locally and no one seems to want to touch them because they are so old. I deal mostly with spectras and xtl's. I am using them mostly for digital operation. I dont know if that makes a difference as to what I need. What kind of equipment do I need and what kind of investment am I looking at?

Thanks
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

The most common tool you would need would be a service monitor. Its a signal generator, dev meter, tone generator and such all in one.

You can get a basic analog one for <1000 if you watch eBay. But this is a piece of equipment that costs 50000 new. I have had great luck with my IFR1200s. I have also used the Motorola r2200-2400 and r2000 series units. I prefer the IFR.

There are some HP units out there but you have to be wary of what kind of power they can handle. The IFR and Motorola units should all be good up to 100 watts.

As far as the analog vs digital capable units the important thing to remember is all the alignment is done in analog. So the only major advantage the digital units have is they can do bit error rate testing and decode the digital voice. 99% of problems will show up I'm a analog as well.

Sent from my Droid RAZR
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

You can buy good bench units from several sources. An IFR1200S or Super S is a very good dual purpose field or bench instrument. An HP8920B is a good bench instrument, not great for the field because of its weight. Make sure if you get an 8920 that it is a B and not a A and that it has the digital attenuator and the high power 60w or 100e internal load.

There is a seller in Las Vegas that carries a good assortment of instruments for reasonable prices. The General Dynamics R2600 series is also good, I have an R2670B and a newer R8000, but I also have an IFR1200 Super S and an 8920B on the bench. Somewhere in my garage is a more ancient R2018D. Look, compare, but be prepared to spend around $3-5k for a good used calibrated instrument.

Will No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by gjhamilton View Post
    I have several radios that are giving me issues. I believe that they just need to be aligned etc. I have called seems like a million people here locally and no one seems to want to touch them because they are so old.
    Too old... What models are you referring to?

Thanks

Astro spectras and plus radios. Every shop I called didnt have cables software etc cause they were too old in their opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,014 Posts

Sounds like they are lazy. We still have cables for X9000, and Micor, including spare heads in case a customer brings in a deck only. Although it has been a year or two since anyone has. It is all the same charge by the hour, and your request might go to the back burner for a day or two unless its a rush, but at least at our shop, we try to turn customer radios within two to three days. I can truthfully say that there may be only a few people that can do that work at any given shop, but nobody? Give me a break.