Thread: How do you turn the power on to a w9 or any trunk mount radio with no control head or control cable?

deejay No Longer Registered

Question How do you turn the power on to a w9 or any trunk mount radio with no control head or control cable?

Hi,
    Is it possible to turn the power on to a trunk mount radio with no control cable or control head? i.e. for flashing or programming. I have some w9 mid power astro spectras that I want to modify and I hook up power and the accessory cable, but the power doesn't come on
    Thanks!
    DJ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 1,027 Posts

No, the astro spectra and XTL in the W configurations has to have a control head to power up.

Thanks

You can use any W series head ...just may not display or have the controls work correctly. At least that has been my experience when I grabbed a radio without accessories to program.
    Never tried it with a W3 group or radio though. Would suspect it may still come up though.
    Radio is looking to talk to a control head so without a head you may not get very far.

Thanks

Just connect pin 20 and pin 22 on the front panel D25 connector. The radio would turn on the last used (or specified channel in CPS) channel. You will be able to read / write it and key the radio to Tx from the front panel D25 connector too (you'll have to enable the Mic Hi and PTT lines first with 0 Ohm SMD jumpers).

Thanks

HA5BRG has it exactly correct. I carry a little dongle with pins 20 to 22 connected in my programming kit to power up bricks without accessories.

Will No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by code352 View Post
    HA5BRG has it exactly correct. I carry a little dongle with pins 20 to 22 connected in my programming kit to power up bricks without accessories.
    I put a fuse in my 'jumper' cable, seen too many burnt traces in Spectras...

Thanks

What type of fuse? Sounds interesting.

Will No Longer Registered

The fuse is a one amp in series with the jumper.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post: