Thread: Astro Saber III P25 as scanner for VIPER

jefflaur1 No Longer Registered

Default Astro Saber III P25 as scanner for VIPER

Got access to a nice Astro Saber III, and as much as it may pain me to do so, I would like to be able to use it as a scanner ofr our new 800mhz VIPER comm system here in NC. No transmit needed on the PS freqs. I would like to simply enter in the various RCV frequencies on each nearby tower, but do not need trunking. I have the voice freqs, and would like to program them in by county. Is this a simple matter of just inputting them into CPS, or is there a more intense process..further will this radio automatically recognize and decode P25 if it comes in and revert to analog when transmitted? They have a mixed system at the present time. Finally what is the best (most efficient) way to set it up for scanning? I have opened the CPS, and looked around but my RIB cable isn't built yet. Just a few questions. Thanks for a terrific site!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,542 Times in 2,357 Posts

Hi,

3600 trunking. Check!
    ASTRO Legacy radio. Check!

You can use that radio without any "no affiliate scan" tricks. Just enable TX Inhibit on the concentric switch, and program the site up as Coverage Type Disabled and enter the control channels for the site nearest to your listening location.

The radio will NOT automatically switch between analog/digital. You will program the radio with slaved analog or digital trunking talkgroups.

Don't waste your time setting it up as a "conventional scanner". It's inefficient and you have no worries of affiliating, as your radio can be configured as a passive receiver. I have several running like this on my local 3600 system.

Thanks

Just be aware that VIPER will be changing soon. It will go from the current 4.1 omnilink system to a p25 system. The west will be the first zone that will make the switch.

jefflaur1 No Longer Registered

Great. This part of the state really hasn't used VIPER much at all..Certainly not Macon County, and it's all going to change again? What do I need to do or get to hear these comms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jefflaur1 View Post
    Great. This part of the state really hasn't used VIPER much at all..Certainly not Macon County, and it's all going to change again? What do I need to do or get to hear these comms?
    I'd say it's more of an upgrade than an entire change.

It's possible that 700 MHz frequencies could come into play - if that comes to pass for your area then that would mean you would need a different radio.

Thanks

700 MHz won't be in use out in the mountains (not for VIPER at least, Tennessee will be another story), so you shouldn't have to worry about that. All of the sites will be 5 channel, 1 control plus 4 voice and the control channel doesn't rotate, so a conventional scanning option might work for you fairly well. That's 4 talkgroups x 4 voice channels = 16 total channels to scan. 2 zones would be more than enough to cover your needs for Macon between public safety, WRC, MAMA, SHP, etc. You can tailor your zones & scan lists to fit what you want fairly easily with plenty of room to spare.

Also note, sites just rebanded about 2 weeks ago in your area, so be aware of that in your firmware and programming.