Thread: Model 1.5 - what would I be missing?

Thanks

Default Model 1.5 - what would I be missing?

With the advent of TDMA in my area, plus the desire to listen to 3 different Harris VHF systems, I'm looking at APXs.

I've found one that seems to fit the bill, but it's a Model 1.5.

Two main questions, hopefully someone out there has experience with the various models out there:

1) Is the display and keyboard a "game-changer" in that having a Model 1.5 would be a painful experience?

2) Besides the display, are there other major differences between the models that I should be aware of?

My usage typically is monitoring a small number of talkgroups, but I do use nuisance quite a bit. I can usually recognize traffic by listening and generally don't need a display to tell me what TG I landed on, but it is nice.

I've read what I can find, but there isn't much (that I've found anyways) that specifically talks about the day-to-day differences in the models.

TIA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noaffiliatefan View Post
    I can usually recognize traffic by listening and generally don't need a display to tell me what TG I landed on, but it is nice.
    An APX Model 1.5 still has a top display, and the XE has an even larger top display.. So you won't be left completely in the dark figuring out what channel or TG you are on with a 1.5.

Thanks

Yeah I saw the (small) display on the top. Would be something of a PITA looking at it, as it would require handling the radio in most cases.

It's nice, but perhaps not necessary, to have the softbuttons function displayed on the LCD as well.

Basically I'd like to avoid buying something that I'd kick myself over down the road. "You got the Model 1.5? Didn't you know that..." etc etc.

Thanks

Just FYI the model 1.5 vocon's DO NOT have the lighting controller for the front display placed, so if it is a true model 1.5 with a 1.5 vocon in it you will not be able to upgrade to a model 3.5 in the future, unlike the older xts units.
    "Don't worry about what I am, cause I'm a state agent so what you need to do is make sure your doing the right thing **** boy" -J. Dewitte

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Just FYI the model 1.5 vocon's DO NOT have the lighting controller for the front display placed, so if it is a true model 1.5 with a 1.5 vocon in it you will not be able to upgrade to a model 3.5 in the future, unlike the older xts units.
    Thanks - that's something for me to check on...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 689 Posts

It will do basically everything that a model 3 will do, but every single function you want to use will have to be mapped to a button since there's no display or keypad for menu item selection. It's not all that different from a top-display MT2000 or MTS2000 if you ever used one of those, except there's no reduction in channel capacity. Drag-and-drop between a model 3 and a 1.5 codeplug is a huge pain in the ass since the fields in the zone/channel assignment don't map directly.

Thanks

Buy once, cry once.

Don't get something just to have it now, unless you know you can sell it for what you paid for it when you wanna buy its replacement.

If you want to buy a higher end model, then do it..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Technoweenie View Post
    If you want to buy a higher end model, then do it..
    Finding out whether I actually do want or need the higher end model is the whole point of the thread.